Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Growing Moringa Stenopetala in Zone 9b?

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 13:56

We started a row of Moringa Oleiferra last September, and found out there is a huge boulder preventing the growth of a few trees. BUT, 2 are 8 feet tall, flowering and bearing pods.

I really couldn't wait to harvest those leaves for the health benefits, but discovered they are a pain to strip from the stems. Not as bad as thyme, but along that line. I still do it, and they taste delicious in salads. So far that's as adventurous as I've become with this tree. This morning I tasted a raw pod about 7" long. Green bean with a little spicy kick. Not bad raw. Probably better sauteed with garlic...

Anyway, I read that Moringa Stenopetala has much bigger leaves that actually have a better flavor. It's slower to grow, more drought friendly, but doesn't like cold. I ordered seeds on Ebay, soaked them for 48 hours, and planted some next to a concrete wall for reflected warmth in winter, and this morning one has sprouted. It's just adorable, and I'm looking forward to the differences.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Do any of you have experience with this variety?

Suzi

This post was edited by desertdance on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 10:55

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Growing Moringa Stenopetala in Zone 9b?

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 21:19

no, but I saw an impressive M. drouhardii at the Arboretum today.

o

Is that one edible too? 3 of my seeds sprouted. One had to be transplanted to a spot where no seeds sprouted to keep things even.

I now have 3 of these trees. They are slow growers but quite interesting when grown. They are spaced between palm trees. Should be a natural for them.

This is an example of what the Stenopetala looks like grown. Fingers crossed.

o

That's a cool looking tree.
Kathi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here