Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Four-in-one?

Posted by iggypoppy (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 12, 10 at 14:14

What do you think about those four-in-one trees? Has anyone had any success growing them? Are they just a novelty or do you think they're worth it to plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Four-in-one?

Are you talking about multi-graft fruit trees? Mother Nature doesn't have the same attitude about diversity that humans do; she prefers competitive dominion. Generally one variety of scion wood grows much better than the other three and finally takes over the whole tree. Maintaining a more equal balance would be a constant pruning chore. You can plant individual fruit trees quite close together, so the supposed spacing-savings of the 4-in-1 trees is questionable. Most people who've had good luck with multi-grafts have done their own grafting.

o

What is said above I've found is true with all of my multi-graft trees.

I have directions for the planting of several small trees in one hole, but can't open the file on this new Mac. :-(

As I recall it was basically finding the trees you want -- 3 or 4;

dig a large hole with a large mound in the middle;

arrange all trees around the mound so their main trunks are only a few inches apart OR are just touching depending on which directions you might use; AND the trees will be planted no deeper than they were before;

back fill;

prune all branches so that:
1. none are going into the new trunk area;
2. none are crossing or getting in the way of another tree's branches;
3. there is good shape to the whole arrangement;

finally.... continue to maintain this pruning method.

Also, I seem to recall that proper fertilization is of the utmost importance since you will have multiple trees competing for the same nutrients.

o

I like my 4in1 peach tree. There is one branch that is twice as large as another. One branch never really took off. The fourth branch broke off because I let it bear too many peaches the first year.
Ruth

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here