Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall and Winter Color in garden

Posted by HappyinmyGarden1000 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 14:38

I am in So CA and want to know what perennials I should be planting now, or soon, so that I have color for fall and winter. I already have daffodils in the ground so I don't need any more of those. Thank you for your suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall and Winter Color in garden

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 15:33

It would be helpful to know either your town/location or Sunset zone, as recommendations will vary depending on your local climate. Some perennials I like using for the extraordinary length of bloom season would include many Mexican cloudforest Salvia species that are fall and winter blooming but can also get shrub sized and may not be that freeze tolerant. Also more common plants such as Verbena bonariensis, Calandrinia grandiflora, Erysimum linifolium 'Bowle's Mauve', Justicia brandegeana, Plectranthus zuluensis, Justicia carnea.

o

In many areas of SoCal you need to plan farther ahead fall color. I find many of my summer flowers will bloom into early December with deadheading (Hemerocalis 'Russian Rhapsody', Rudbeckia 'Indian Summer', Gaillardia, to name a few). Fall becomes a plan for December-March flowers, and the inserting the annual-grown perennials that go until I yank their tired little bodies out of the soil (dianthus, pansies). Freesias are a great one to plant, if you are not in too cold an area. Best deal I know of is a bag for $12 from CostCo in the fall; they will bloom every spring and multiply, so you really only need to purchase them once. Kalanchoe Mirabella can provide red flowers January-April every year. Bletilla is another amazing performer that blooms from about February-May for me. They aren't invasive, but they do grow quickly and can be divided. I started out with 2 small rhizomes, and now there are so many I used them en mass in a sidewalk strip.
As Bahia said, it depends upon where you live. Are you looking for sun or shade plants?

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 18:59

Aloes and Camellias are the stars of my winter garden. The Aloes attract hummingbirds, too.

o

Don't restrict yourself to perennials! What about shrubs and trees? Not necessarily a garden full, but a few choice specimens chosen for fall and winter interest.

Sara

Here is a link that might be useful: Form and Foliage: Bleak Midwinter

o

It's best not to plant much in the heat of the summer in southern California- we wait until October so that our plants have a better chance of surviving.

Chrysanthemums bloom in fall, and you can get them in the fall already in bloom.
Brugmansias and cannas bloom in the fall and into the winter if there is no frost. So do some daylilies. Roses bloom into January. Reblooming tall bearded irises bloom in the fall and winter all the way through to March (Violet Turner, Total Recall, Mariposa Autumn, and Recurring Dream are my best).
My spireas, calla lilies, and azaleas bloom in March.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here