Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoovb

Anyone growing Astelia?

I'm a little uneasy about where to plant mine, 'Silver Shadow' which is a hybrid of A. chathamica x A. nervosa. The label says Full sun/light shade and "low water once established" while most inet sites say cool sun/shade--a UK article says dappled shade and does not like to dry out, and we know how comparatively hot and dry the UK is (not).

Anyone in Sunset 23 growing it, and what are your observations re sun exposure? Also is it vulnerable to New Zealand Flax Mealybug?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

I've never grown it,but a local nursery carries them,and I'm told they are a favorite of pro landscapers (SF bay area). I have seen them..and they look great.

• bahia
    10 years ago

Here in the cooler SF Bay Area, all of the Astelias I've grown do best with morning sun/bright shade and low to medium irrigation. Seein as they are New Zealand natives, with only moderate weather, hot sun and drying winds are not to their liking.

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    10 years ago

I think I am about a sunset 23 here. I brought my Astelia chatamica Silver Spear with me when I moved here from the U.K.
    I also read that they like boggy conditions and I killed it by overwatering.
    Now I have two more which are in their fourth year here.
    One is in full sun. It gets watered once a fortnight, along with the rest of the garden.
    The other is in a pot, mainly in shade. I only water it when the pot feels light.
    They are both thriving and are beautiful.
    Daisy

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Helpful comments; thanks, all! Daisy you are close to the ocean?

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    10 years ago

Hoovb. Although I am looking at the Mediterranean Sea as I write, I am useless at estimating distances.
    Thank-goodness for Google Earth. It tells me that my garden is 0.93 of a mile, or 1.49 kilometres inland from the sea.
    It is 300 metres above sea level.
    Daisy

The view from my terrace.

{{gwi:545135}}

• peachymomo
    10 years ago

Wow, what a view!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my. With that view I might not bother gardening!