Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aquilachrysaetos

Deodar Cedar?

aquilachrysaetos
14 years ago

I am thinking of a conifer for my backyard. I see a lot of Deodar Cedar in my neighborhood. Very handsome trees and I've seen them looking good in yards that don't get much attention. I would not mind a tree that would eventually shade most of my backyard. It gets blasted hot here and the shade would be welcome.

It gets very windy in my locale and I don't recall ever seeing one of those blown over.

Do they run at the root like some trees or are they better behaved in that way? Any plumbing horror stories?

Comments (15)

• deep___roots
    14 years ago

Gets big and wide.
    Incense cedar (Calocedrus decurrens is the botanical name)
    gets tall and narrow.
    Just to give you another cedar to choose from.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

We have three that were planted in 1957 looking like Christmas trees. They are now 100 feet tall(a guess)and have shaded out the lawn to their east. The shade from the western sun is welcome, but I need to replace the lawn with a planting tolerant of serious root competition. The roots have not surfaced in the lawn. The drooping of the limbs has led to regular pruning back of the lower limbs to be able to walk under the tree. Once a year the pollen turns everything nearby a dusty yellow and the empty catkins are an inch deep on the lawn. Al

• applenut_gw
    14 years ago

We have them all over the neighborhood, and its a wonderful, care-free tree. No plumbing problems or surface roots. One quirk is that if the leader snaps off, it rarely forms another and will have a "flat top".

• aquilachrysaetos
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lawn smothering sounds good to me. I don't have a lawn in the back (too 'spensive to keep it green) but I do have trouble with weeds. I'm hoping it will shade out the weeds making a good section of my back yard easier to manage.

I've noticed some silvery looking cultivars. My local nurseryman gets them in regularly.

• aquilachrysaetos
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just an update: I found one in a five gallon at Lowe's.

What a funny fuzzy looking little tree.

It'll improve as it grows. :)

• deep___roots
    14 years ago

Good. Shouldn't be any trouble to grow. I even have one "bonsaied" into a 13 inch square redwood planting box that sits on my deck. It is maybe 3 feet tall. I wasn't sure how it would do, but even after 5 years it just sits there growing slowly even through blazing sun sometimes. Water once a week is all it needs.
    Good luck with yours.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    14 years ago

we have 3 on the north side of the house, right BY the house, that must be a hundred feet tall. the original owner came by and told us his dad planted them around 1920. they have been no trouble at all but we got worried because they grew some very heavy branches on the house side and had them thinned out in case a strong wind blew one over. that cost us a bunch of money but we sleep much better now. min

• TWEEDY3277_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

We love our deadora. It is beautiful all year and
    keeps our front yard shaded. It sheds in the fall
    But is never bare.

13 years ago

Mine reseed generously in my garden and I dig up the seedlings when they are very small. We have a busy highway at the top of our six acres and I have started a row of my Deodar Cedars on the bank of the right of way, as a screen from the highway. Planted in the winter with no further care they all have grown beautifully. The county planted some trees of their own, all of which died in the first year. Of course the county did not plant their trees in the winter. Al

• borderbarb
    13 years ago

35 years ago I planted 2 Deodars in my front yard. About 8 years ago, one of them was blown over by an east wind, following very wet season. It blocked a 40 ft road. Thank goodness for sons who come in the middle of night and work free !! The remaining Deodar is tall, stately and beautiful. Passers-by often comment the pleasure they get from that tree .... reason enough to plant, if you have room.

• applenut_gw
    13 years ago

I planted a pair 8 years ago and they're growing like rockets, 20 feet+ tall now. Beautiful trees with no trouble at all. They are true Cedars, native to the Himilayas, related to the Cedar of Lebanon. I worked some of the wood in my woodshop and about passed out from the cedar oil aroma.

Giant Sequoia also grows very well down in the hot valleys with no troubles.

• peggiewho
    13 years ago

I love my deodar but she looks pretty foolish. Mine came with the new house 20 years ago. She has tried to put on multiple tops her whole life. The large limbs droop under the heavy weight. We had one limb flip over another and then grow that way for years until it finally broke off. My tree is a weed in a fortunate spot at the end of the street and the edge of the lawn, dramatic. I would recommend that anyone planting such a large plant to buy a clone, a named plant if available. My two redwoods I planted are perfect specimens. I love my deodar but she is the silliest one I have seen. They may also we water hogs like redwoods, I don't know? Twenty years ago we worried about floods not water meters. Cones are so delicious the squirrels eat them in place.

13 years ago

Deodars do tend to grow double leaders, it is not anything you could have stopped. Most conifers do not do this on their own, but any attempt to top them to contain size will usually cause this, which destroys the conical shape of the tree. Because of the weeping lower branches of the Deodar they will need limbing up several times in their life to be able to walk or garden under them. Many times they are planted too close together which will cause them to grow leaning away from each other. Al

• peggiewho
    13 years ago

I cannot tell a Paludosum daisy from a particular weed I have when it is small. The builder specified a deodar cedar but it acts like a big weed. She does lean away from the neighbors trees even though she has the south side. She has never been toped, we wouldn't know where to start pruning her to make it right. It's a large decision to plant such a large tree. Get a good one. We like the sound of the wind through the tree. She loses limbs and drops a lot of needles. All trees are messy, more mulch for me.
    We like her
    {{gwi:545179}}

The light is right to show what goes on behind the needles
    {{gwi:545180}}

Silliness close up from the back
    {{gwi:545181}}