Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody in Cal have New Guinia Impatiens live over winter?

Posted by stanofh (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 14:53

I bought a nice understated New Guinea Impatiens in a gallon pot. Its been so many years since I tried one..they were all yellow with green stripes back when,that I cant go on that. I have had the common six pack Impatiens live for years- at least three so far on my front porch- even this winters freeze didn't kill them off.
So, are the NG plants perennials?

edit: I did find a soucalian who has one for five years now. Any bay areans? Or other soucal people?

This post was edited by stanofh on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 16:09

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody in Cal have New Guinia Impatiens live over winter?

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24, (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 21:19

I have not been able to keep mine alive over the winter, and I'm in Sunset zone 24!

o

After posting..I should add (if it helps) that its one of the Super Sonic hybrids. A couple of sites say hardy to z9. But,that might be Florida z 9.
Socalgal,any Super Sonic trials?

o

Mine survive over the winter,i'm in zone 9,s.ca along the coast.
Kath

o

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24, (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 19:18

Mine are not supersonic. But if others can get New Guineas to survive in zone 9, maybe I just have bad luck or a poor spot.

o

I've had the plants themselves survive, but they're not the same. They're ugly and stumpy and don't bloom nearly as much as first year plants.

Kay

o

That's another side Kay I hadn't thought of. Thanks all!

o

I was able to keep a pot of them alive, also through freezing-I live in a canyon in the mountains with its own micro climate- and just like onderw said, they're alive and blooming but not nearly as pretty. Mine were actually kept over winter by accident- I totally forgot about them and left them untouched from Jan-Apr when I noticed new leaves. I find that a lot of my plants don't follow the zones up here :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here