Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mail order avocado sources

Posted by
jeff-n-jessa 4
(gw:jeff-n-jessa) on
Sun, Jul 2, 06 at 14:56

Hi - I'm not a Californian, but I thought you guys might be in the best position to answer these questions-

1. What's a reputable source for mail order avocados? I know growquest has many varieties, but I'm worried about their reputation.

2. Can you actually get fruit from a container avocado? If so, how old does it need to be? I keep my plants outside in the summer and in the winter they live in a bright sunroom.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mail order avocado sources

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 3, 06 at 21:04

Growquest has a pretty horrific reputation on more than one of these forums. if you do some searches you can find some horror stories -- but you will have to judge for yourself how much is true and how much isn't. I wouldn't order from them myself, based on comments from long time posters whose judgement I trust, but again, you have to judge for yourself.

You might have better luck with a smaller variety probably, there are some that stay on the small (10') size.

I think you would have a lot of issues to deal with. For example, Avocado fruit takes a long time to develop and ripen--mine, for example, sets fruit in Feb-March and it's ready to harvest around Christmas/New Years. So you'd need a smooth transition from being outside to being in your sunroom to avoid fruit drop--issues like that.

I'm sure someone is out there doing it, but it might take more effort than it is worth. It's a subtropical plant.

o
RE: mail order avocado sources

I don't believe that the avocado tree is as fragile as some folks think it is. I remember my father driving nails into the tree trunk to "jolt" it into believing it was going to die. This seemingly Draconian act seemed to cause the tree to produce flowers which eventuated into fruits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here