Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queerbychoice

Halloween in July

queerbychoice
13 years ago

I seem to have accidentally turned into a pumpkin farmer. It started last Halloween, when I tossed the insides of our jack-o-lantern into the compost bin. I wondered whether some pumpkin plants might sprout from the seeds, but I doubted that we'd get any actual, decent-sized pumpkins from them. I figured that although our yard is underwater all winter, it's usually as dry as a desert all summer, so any pumpkin seedlings we might get would likely die.

Well, I was wrong! Including about the "dry as a desert" thing. Our next-door neighbors bought an above-ground pool last month, and for some bizarre reason, they've taken to dumping their entire pool upside-down about once a week. All the water goes directly into our yard. The pumpkin plants love this, although I do have to prop the actual pumpkin fruits up on pieces of broken concrete to keep them out of the water, or else they rot. Anyway, the main result is that I have my first full-sized, fully ripe pumpkin in mid-July, and three more large ones that may also be ripe before the end of the month. All the pictures below were taken this month; most are from one to two weeks ago.

The white flowers are yarrow, and the yellow flowers are hairy gumplants and rosillas:

{{gwi:545446}}

The yellow flowers in the foreground are black-eyed Susans; the shrubs are golden currant and blue elderberry:

{{gwi:545449}}

Me, ready to clip the first ripe pumpkin yesterday:

{{gwi:545451}}

The non-pumpkin parts of the yard:

{{gwi:545453}}

Boston enjoying the flood:

{{gwi:545455}}

Comments (8)