Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cut and Carry Cemetery Flowers

Posted by GrowSis 9B Inland Empire,CA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 15:26

Hello All

This is a survey question and I would like to have as many respondents as possible. For years I used to spend close to $1000 a year on floral arrangements for the cemetery. I don't know if those days will ever return but if they do they definitely don't exist now. So given that I am the indoor sort, what could I grow on my patio in containers that would provide me with fresh flowers preferably year round (if not then at least fully in bloom and ready for harvest from March through July/September). And if I need to harvest say six times a year, would I need to grow six pots, three large ones? These flowers must be colorful, good head size, and super easy to grow. I'm good with water and fert and not much more fussing. I've got unlimited sun. What do you think? I also like very wide blade leafy greens (lemon leaf but even larger is better) to put in the arrangement but I don't know how easy those are to grow so that might be beyond my capabilities.

Flowers I used to buy: Lily/Stargazer (love), gerber daisies, calla lily, roses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cut and Carry Cemetery Flowers

Alstroemeria is an easy one to grow, comes in many bright colors and last a long time as a cut flower. The trick with them is to pluck the whole stem of flowers by grasping the stem close to the ground and pulling it out, rather than cutting it off with pruners. You can cut the end after removal. They will continue to produce new flower stems over a long season.

o

It depends on how big you want your bouquets. Six very large pots would be good for starters.

I second Gyr-Falcon's idea of alstroemeria.
Calla lilies are also easy to grow in pots. They prefer plenty of water.
Lilies will only bloom once a year, so that's not much bang for the buck. If you do go with bulb lilies, I would try the Asiatic varieties since they do better in Southern California than the Orientals like Stargazer. Sometimes you can buy a pot of Asiatic lilies for five bucks at Home Depot and it has five bulbs in it.
Hydrangeas give a lot of flowers and will grow in pots.
If you have a place to plant a rose bush in the ground, roses have four main flushes of bloom a year here, and you can have big bouquets from March/April through January. I recommend Henry Fonda. It's a bright yellow that produces lots of long-stemmed yellow roses, it is disease-free, and it has nice deep green foliage.

o

• Posted by GrowSis 9B Inland Empire,CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 16:22

Six very large pots would be good for starters.

The largest pot I have now is 8" indoors. What diameter?

If you have a place to plant a rose bush in the ground..

Space I've got. The problem is water. No system and only two hoses. Also very dense, weedy soil. This gets fussy and expensive.

Great ideas Gyr and hosenemesis!

o

18" diameter pots would be good.

I think pots and potting soil would be much more expensive than putting things into the ground, though. Yes, it does require weeding and watering, but pots will require more water than a plant in the ground. Good luck with your project!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here