Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katieeyler

Sow Flower Seeds in Summer for a Fall/Winter Garden

katieeyler
9 years ago

I have been looking high and low for answers as to whether or not I can plant flower seeds now for a fall/winter garden, but everything I find relates to vegetables.
I have a flower bed in my backyard that will be in full sun within the next 30 days (the honey locust that provides dappled shade is already starting it's annual leaf drop) and the plan was to plant pumpkin seeds, but we just discovered that we have quite the squash bug infestation in my husband's vegetable garden, so I'm not going to do the bugs any favors and give them anything to eat - so pumpkins aren't happening this year.
The bed is rather large, so I would like to start from seeds so I don't spend a lot of money on plants.
What, if any, plants would you recommend for a fall/winter garden? Ideally I'd like to grow some sort of vine against the fence (we have wire strung across already), some taller plants/flowers for the middle and small, ornamental plants up front.
Also, I can't plant anything from the brassicaceae family because we have already lost a ton of plants due to a bagrada bug infestation a month or so ago.
So, is this a possibility? If so, let's design a garden!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm