Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sow Flower Seeds in Summer for a Fall/Winter Garden

Posted by LantanaLove 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 15:28

I have been looking high and low for answers as to whether or not I can plant flower seeds now for a fall/winter garden, but everything I find relates to vegetables.
I have a flower bed in my backyard that will be in full sun within the next 30 days (the honey locust that provides dappled shade is already starting it's annual leaf drop) and the plan was to plant pumpkin seeds, but we just discovered that we have quite the squash bug infestation in my husband's vegetable garden, so I'm not going to do the bugs any favors and give them anything to eat - so pumpkins aren't happening this year.
The bed is rather large, so I would like to start from seeds so I don't spend a lot of money on plants.
What, if any, plants would you recommend for a fall/winter garden? Ideally I'd like to grow some sort of vine against the fence (we have wire strung across already), some taller plants/flowers for the middle and small, ornamental plants up front.
Also, I can't plant anything from the brassicaceae family because we have already lost a ton of plants due to a bagrada bug infestation a month or so ago.
So, is this a possibility? If so, let's design a garden!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sow Flower Seeds in Summer for a Fall/Winter Garden

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24, (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 18:36

I'm not sure about zone 9, but in zone 10 I start flower seeds in late summer/early fall for winter flowers (when mother nature will hopefully water them for me). Pansies, stock, calendulas, delphiniums, California wildflowers, sweet peas... If you are in Southern California the book by Pat Welsh gives month-by-month descriptions of what seeds you can start when.

o

Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 18:39

Here is a pink to a Pat Welsh website with information on when to start seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: When to plant flower seeds

o

Thank you, socalgal! I used to live in zone 10, but there is quite a few differences in 9 versus 10! If you sow seeds in late summer/early fall, does this mean you wait til mid to late September? I was hoping to get a jump on it in about a week since we're looking at a possible El Niño fall/winter and temps may be colder than they have been in the past couple of years.

o

Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 19:40

I usually aim for late August. I don't want to fry the baby plants!

o

I like this idea, and the previous owner left a lot of seeds. Love the sweet peas, and we have miles of chain link. I would do artichokes, but gophers love them. Gopher bait, and that would kill me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here