Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old Dendromecon

Posted by dis_ z9 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 15:36

I've had one in the backyard for over 10 years now. Once it got through the first year it's been the easiest most carefree shrub I've ever had. Rarely had to water it past the first couple years. One good soak at the end of winter if it's been dry. One year we had stiff winds that blew it down and broke it in half. It came back.

Here's my question: This year it's looking kinda scraggly. It has trunks as thick as my arm. Should I chop it down and see if it comes back?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old Dendromecon

At my old location in Watsonville I had a similar problem. I cut the whole bush down to about 2 feet and it recovered in one year. Al

o

• Posted by dis_ z9 CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 2:30

Thank you very much! I really like this bush and want to save it.

o

Can one of you tell me if it looks scrubby?

o

Mine grew multiple stems from the ground up to about 6 feet,making an open loose shrub. Al

o

• Posted by dis_ z9 CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 19:30

Mine got large but the arching stems looked graceful to me. Lately it's got a lot of dead wood and looked not so graceful.

We cut it down yesterday. The root burl is two feet across!

I may take the loppings and burn them in the firepit and scatter the ashes around it in a sort of loose approximation of the aftermath of a chaparral fire.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here