Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this trouble? (possible weeping willow)

Posted by melle_sacto Z9/Sunset 14 CA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 15:39

A few years ago, the landlord next door planted a small tree in their front yard. It's gotten large enough, now, that the branches were overhanging our side yard fence. We decided to remove the ones that overhung because we are using the side yard more lately (painting the house and staining the fence). Which got us to looking more closely at the tree...

My DH thought it looked like a weeping willow, and we can see one very large surface root that is headed toward their front yard water spigot.

Can you tell from these pics if it's a weeping willow? If it is, I'm worried about our water main as it's close enough to the tree to be a target.

photo IMG_3672_zps70e07085.jpg

photo IMG_3674_zps67e7e357.jpg

This post was edited by melle_sacto on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 15:49

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this trouble? (possible weeping willow)

Melle,
That is exactly what that is.
Weeping Willow.
They do sell something you can use to discourage tree roots from attacking water lines. Usually its the older clay water lines you have to worry about.
Trees are opportunists, so they don't crack your lines and then crawl in, there has to be a crack already, which is more common in older water pipes that aren't PVC.
So you don't have to panic, and the next time you are at HD or Lowes, see if they sell the stuff to use to discourage tree roots from growing near the lines.
A professional tree person I once talked to, said it really worked, so just buy some.
Then you won't have to worry about your lines.

o

Thank you! I think weeping willows are pretty trees but it's not what I would have planted in the smallish front yard.

I am worried about the water lines because occasionally we receive notices from our water company that other homes in the neighborhood's water lines are failing and that if we don't want to incur a major expense we should sign up for their insurance.

I'll look for the product, is it some type of chemical?

o

You can use cuttings of that tree to encourage other cuttings to root. It puts out a hormone in water that makes cuttings of anything root, so if you want basil cuttings to root, stick a willow cutting in the water with it....

Make lemonade from lemons.......

o

desertdance -- interesting that you mention this; I often have pothos cuttings rooted in water for precisely this purpose. I *just* rooted a Thai basil :-) And I also am using "pothos water" to water some rosemary cuttings in-ground, in hopes they will also strike!

o

remember if you have a lawn you water it will move there also. Willows look for water and this is an expecially lean year. We had one planted on the edge of our property far from the house. It was slowly moving toward the well and house. It is gone. Penny

o

We only have a small backyard lawn. In the front yard, the area I water is pretty far from the willow; the part of our yard that is close to the neighbor I don't give supplemental water (I think everything must be getting by on what the neighbor uses to water their lawn).

Evenso, I'm going to look into the product that will deter the roots that might come toward my home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here