Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
zone 9b-ers: When are you starting veggie seeds indoors?

Posted by momma_s 9b, SZ14 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 15:39

I'm starting to think about planting my fall garden, and since this is my first year gardening in CA--and in general, I was wondering... When will others in my zone start their veggie seeds indoors?

I'm looking to grow most of the cool weather crops: lettuces, carrots, broccoli, onion, garlic, peas.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: zone 9b-ers: When are you starting veggie seeds indoors?

For Zone 14 Veggie Gardeners:

TO SOW DIRECT IN LATE SUMMER (September)

VEGETABLES

Beets
Broad bean (fava)
Carrots
Celeriac
Chard
Chinese Cabbage
Daikon radish
Dandelion
Endive, Chicory
French (green) bean
Kale
Kohlrabi
Leek
Mustard
Onion ("sets")
Parsnip
Potato ("seed potatoes")
Purslane
Radish
Rutabaga
Salsify
Sorrel
Spinach
Turnips
Tyfon

HERBS

Chervil
Soup/leaf celery
Marjoram
Parsley
Anise

TO SOW DIRECT IN FALL (October-November)

VEGETABLES

Arugula
Beets
Bok Choy
Broad bean (fava)
Carrots
Celeriac
Chard
Chinese broccoli
Chinese Cabbage
Chinese mustard
Collards
Corn salad
Cress
Daikon radish
Dandelion
Endive, Chicory
Fennel ("bulb" type)
Garland chrysanthemum
Kale
Kohlrabi
Lambs Quarters
Leek
Lettuce, head
Lettuce, loose-leaf
Mustard
Onion ("sets")
Orach
Pak Choy
Parsnip
Pea
Potatoes ("seed potatoes")
Radish
Rutabaga
Salsify
Snow peas
Sorrel
Spinach
Sugar peas
Turnips
Tyfon

HERBS

Chervil
Soup/leaf celery
Cilantro, coriander
Garlic (cloves)
Marjoram
Parsley
Anise

TO SOW INDOORS IN LATE SUMMER-EARLY FALL (September)
FOR TRANSPLANTING TO THE GARDEN IN LATE FALL-EARLY WINTER

VEGETABLES

Broccoli
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Celery

Joe

o

Another Joe post goes to the FAVORITES!

o

Ok... Not quite the answer I was expecting, but informational...

Joe~ You mention only onion sets. Why not from seed? When would I need to start from seed? I know they take a long time to get growin'...

Anyone else want to share when they'll be starting things for this fall?

o

I tried wintersowing last year and will never start seeds inside again. It was wonderful and oh so much easier. Sorry!!!

o

momma_s:

Under "TO SOW DIRECT IN LATE SUMMER (September)", it should read right of "Onions" "(sets or seeds)".

Evidently, I didn't understand your question. You asked "when will others sow seeds indoors?". My final category "TO SOW INDOORS IN LATE SUMMER-EARLY FALL (September) FOR TRANSPLANTING TO THE GARDEN IN LATE FALL-EARLY WINTER" is the answer.

Could it be that you want to sow EVERYTHING indoors? Here in California, it's best to sow most vegetables "directly to the ground". Only a few things are better sown indoors. I've noted those.

Am I missing something?

Joe

o

gardenerme~ What happened with starting your seeds indoors?

Joe~ No, you're not missing anything. You provided a great list. I was/am simply trying to start a conversation with others who live in the same/similar zone as me... I want to hear about people's plans, ideas, experience, etc. Just want to know what's goin' on out there is all...

I understand that some veggies are better directly sown, but I would like to get a head start, and also try succession planting. Most of my warm weather veggies were directly sown, and it felt like it took "forever" to get them to the harvesting phase. I want to try avoiding that feeling--if that's possible!

o

gardenerme~ What happened with starting your seeds indoors?

Joe~ No, you're not missing anything. You provided a great list. I was/am simply trying to start a conversation with others who live in the same/similar zone as me... I want to hear about people's plans, ideas, experience, etc. Just want to know what's goin' on out there is all...

I understand that some veggies are better directly sown, but I would like to get a head start, and also try succession planting. Most of my warm weather veggies were directly sown, and it felt like it took "forever" to get them to the harvesting phase. I want to try avoiding that feeling--if that's possible!

o

I was wondering the same thing. I'm planning on waiting until the end of September and I'll start broccoli, Kale,lettuce, spinach, carrots, garlic, onions.

o

holldoll777~ Will you direct seed your broccoli,kale, lettuce & spinach? Where will you be getting your garlic from? I'm curious because that's the last "seed" I need to get, but not sure where to get them.

I'm thinking of starting my broccoli & red cabbage inside mid-late August to have a head start on things, then transplanting late Sept... I want to try onion from seed, and will start those inside next week (they're maturity is 170 whoppin days).

o

• Posted by temiha Palmdale zn11 (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 16:11

Joe that was a really great list. I know my area is a bit different... much hotter and much colder. (I got my zone number from the Western Gardening book) Without bothering you, can you provide me the source of where you got your info and I can look it up without bothering you. I am new to the idea of planting and not sure what I have to do to prepare my areas and so not sure how much effort I will need to start. Therefore I am not sure when I will start, but I know I do want to start. The ideas are just so endless...
Thanks for all the great comments and ideas
Teri

o

Teri:

The information came from "Vegetable Gardening", a class I teach for Hancock College and Cuesta College.

It's material I've gathered over many years in this area (SWGB Zones 14, 15, 16, 17). I've created calendars for all four of these zones.

There are quite a few on-line sites for similar information. I particularly like the UC Cooperative Extension website.

I have lots more information on vegetable gardening (which I hand out in my vegetable gardening classes). You can reach me at thegardenguru (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Joe

o

This is an email I sent to a neighbor who was asking the same questions:

A good book to get is A Gardener's Companion for the San Joaquin Valley; it is published by the Master Gardens of Fresno County.
They say to plant in August from seed:
Basil
Beans
Beets
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Cabbage
carrot
Cauliflower
Chives
Dill
Endive
Fennel
Green Onions
Kohlrabi
Leeks
Lettuce
Mustard
Peas
Potatoes
Rutabagas
Spinach
Squash
Swiss Chard
Turnips

To plant in Sept. from plants and * from seed:
Broccoli
Cabbage
Carrots*
Cauliflower
Chinese Cabbage
Garlic
Lettuce*
Parsley*
Peas*
Potatoes
Radish*
Spinach*
Sugar Snap Peas*

In October:
Beets*
Broccoli
Carrots*
Cauliflower
Garlic
Lettuce*
Onion sets
Snow Peas*
Spinach*
Swiss Chard*
Turnips*

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 19, 09 at 19:59

I never start seeds indoors. It's too much work. I put a piece of row cover over the raised beds if they need protection. I thought indoor seed starting was for cold-weather gardeners so they could get a jump in spring and protect the seedlings from a late frost. In 9b frost protection is almost irrelevant.

o

Joe said: "It's material I've gathered over many years in this area (SWGB Zones 14, 15, 16, 17). I've created calendars for all four of these zones."

Joe, I'd love to see your list for zone 16 if it differs much from your zone 14 list above - pretty please :)

o

Sorry for the confusion. According to the Western Book, I am a zone 11 and then according to The Vegetable Garden, I am a zone 8-10. I live in Palmdale which is in the Antelope Valley, about 50 miles NE of Los Angeles CA.

Where am I? What zone am I? I am sooo confused.

I think I will try to grow a few veggies for the first time..I will try beets, garlic and maybe beans...If the stars align...lol

Here is a link that might be useful: The Vegetable Garden

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 21, 09 at 19:04

temiha, You are Sunset zone 11 probably, not USDA zone 11. The Sunset zones are more precise and area-specific than the USDA zones, which are based only on typical coldest winter temperature. Palmdale is probably USDA zone 9a.

o

holldoll777~ Will you direct seed your broccoli,kale, lettuce & spinach? Where will you be getting your garlic from? I'm curious because that's the last "seed" I need to get, but not sure where to get them.

Yes, I'm going to direct seed them. I'm trying to decide right now if I went to rip out my pathetic peppers and eggplant and put them in, or wait a little while longer. I'm getting my elephant garlic from a friend's dad that grows it, but I know you can buy a garlic from the store and plant it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here