Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momma_s

zone 9b-ers: When are you starting veggie seeds indoors?

momma_s
14 years ago

I'm starting to think about planting my fall garden, and since this is my first year gardening in CA--and in general, I was wondering... When will others in my zone start their veggie seeds indoors?

I'm looking to grow most of the cool weather crops: lettuces, carrots, broccoli, onion, garlic, peas.

TIA

Comments (17)

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

For Zone 14 Veggie Gardeners:

TO SOW DIRECT IN LATE SUMMER (September)

VEGETABLES

Beets
    Broad bean (fava)
    Carrots
    Celeriac
    Chard
    Chinese Cabbage
    Daikon radish
    Dandelion
    Endive, Chicory
    French (green) bean
    Kale
    Kohlrabi
    Leek
    Mustard
    Onion ("sets")
    Parsnip
    Potato ("seed potatoes")
    Purslane
    Radish
    Rutabaga
    Salsify
    Sorrel
    Spinach
    Turnips
    Tyfon

HERBS

Chervil
    Soup/leaf celery
    Marjoram
    Parsley
    Anise

TO SOW DIRECT IN FALL (October-November)

VEGETABLES

Arugula
    Beets
    Bok Choy
    Broad bean (fava)
    Carrots
    Celeriac
    Chard
    Chinese broccoli
    Chinese Cabbage
    Chinese mustard
    Collards
    Corn salad
    Cress
    Daikon radish
    Dandelion
    Endive, Chicory
    Fennel ("bulb" type)
    Garland chrysanthemum
    Kale
    Kohlrabi
    LambÂs Quarters
    Leek
    Lettuce, head
    Lettuce, loose-leaf
    Mustard
    Onion ("sets")
    Orach
    Pak Choy
    Parsnip
    Pea
    Potatoes ("seed potatoes")
    Radish
    Rutabaga
    Salsify
    Snow peas
    Sorrel
    Spinach
    Sugar peas
    Turnips
    Tyfon

HERBS

Chervil
    Soup/leaf celery
    Cilantro, coriander
    Garlic (cloves)
    Marjoram
    Parsley
    Anise

TO SOW INDOORS IN LATE SUMMER-EARLY FALL (September)
    FOR TRANSPLANTING TO THE GARDEN IN LATE FALL-EARLY WINTER

VEGETABLES

Broccoli
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Celery

Joe

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Another Joe post goes to the FAVORITES!

• momma_s
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok... Not quite the answer I was expecting, but informational...

Joe~ You mention only onion sets. Why not from seed? When would I need to start from seed? I know they take a long time to get growin'...

Anyone else want to share when they'll be starting things for this fall?

• gardenerme
    14 years ago

I tried wintersowing last year and will never start seeds inside again. It was wonderful and oh so much easier. Sorry!!!

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

momma_s:

Under "TO SOW DIRECT IN LATE SUMMER (September)", it should read right of "Onions" "(sets or seeds)".

Evidently, I didn't understand your question. You asked "when will others sow seeds indoors?". My final category "TO SOW INDOORS IN LATE SUMMER-EARLY FALL (September) FOR TRANSPLANTING TO THE GARDEN IN LATE FALL-EARLY WINTER" is the answer.

Could it be that you want to sow EVERYTHING indoors? Here in California, it's best to sow most vegetables "directly to the ground". Only a few things are better sown indoors. I've noted those.

Am I missing something?

Joe

• momma_s
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gardenerme~ What happened with starting your seeds indoors?

Joe~ No, you're not missing anything. You provided a great list. I was/am simply trying to start a conversation with others who live in the same/similar zone as me... I want to hear about people's plans, ideas, experience, etc. Just want to know what's goin' on out there is all...

I understand that some veggies are better directly sown, but I would like to get a head start, and also try succession planting. Most of my warm weather veggies were directly sown, and it felt like it took "forever" to get them to the harvesting phase. I want to try avoiding that feeling--if that's possible!

• momma_s
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gardenerme~ What happened with starting your seeds indoors?

Joe~ No, you're not missing anything. You provided a great list. I was/am simply trying to start a conversation with others who live in the same/similar zone as me... I want to hear about people's plans, ideas, experience, etc. Just want to know what's goin' on out there is all...

I understand that some veggies are better directly sown, but I would like to get a head start, and also try succession planting. Most of my warm weather veggies were directly sown, and it felt like it took "forever" to get them to the harvesting phase. I want to try avoiding that feeling--if that's possible!

• Holly DeVito
    14 years ago

I was wondering the same thing. I'm planning on waiting until the end of September and I'll start broccoli, Kale,lettuce, spinach, carrots, garlic, onions.

• momma_s
    Original Author
    14 years ago

holldoll777~ Will you direct seed your broccoli,kale, lettuce & spinach? Where will you be getting your garlic from? I'm curious because that's the last "seed" I need to get, but not sure where to get them.

I'm thinking of starting my broccoli & red cabbage inside mid-late August to have a head start on things, then transplanting late Sept... I want to try onion from seed, and will start those inside next week (they're maturity is 170 whoppin days).

• temiha
    14 years ago

Joe that was a really great list. I know my area is a bit different... much hotter and much colder. (I got my zone number from the Western Gardening book) Without bothering you, can you provide me the source of where you got your info and I can look it up without bothering you. I am new to the idea of planting and not sure what I have to do to prepare my areas and so not sure how much effort I will need to start. Therefore I am not sure when I will start, but I know I do want to start. The ideas are just so endless...
    Thanks for all the great comments and ideas
    Teri

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

Teri:

The information came from "Vegetable Gardening", a class I teach for Hancock College and Cuesta College.

It's material I've gathered over many years in this area (SWGB Zones 14, 15, 16, 17). I've created calendars for all four of these zones.

There are quite a few on-line sites for similar information. I particularly like the UC Cooperative Extension website.

I have lots more information on vegetable gardening (which I hand out in my vegetable gardening classes). You can reach me at thegardenguru (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Joe

• CA Kate z9
    14 years ago

This is an email I sent to a neighbor who was asking the same questions:

A good book to get is A Gardener's Companion for the San Joaquin Valley; it is published by the Master Gardens of Fresno County.
    They say to plant in August from seed:
    Basil
    Beans
    Beets
    Bok Choy
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    carrot
    Cauliflower
    Chives
    Dill
    Endive
    Fennel
    Green Onions
    Kohlrabi
    Leeks
    Lettuce
    Mustard
    Peas
    Potatoes
    Rutabagas
    Spinach
    Squash
    Swiss Chard
    Turnips

To plant in Sept. from plants and * from seed:
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Carrots*
    Cauliflower
    Chinese Cabbage
    Garlic
    Lettuce*
    Parsley*
    Peas*
    Potatoes
    Radish*
    Spinach*
    Sugar Snap Peas*

In October:
    Beets*
    Broccoli
    Carrots*
    Cauliflower
    Garlic
    Lettuce*
    Onion sets
    Snow Peas*
    Spinach*
    Swiss Chard*
    Turnips*

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

I never start seeds indoors. It's too much work. I put a piece of row cover over the raised beds if they need protection. I thought indoor seed starting was for cold-weather gardeners so they could get a jump in spring and protect the seedlings from a late frost. In 9b frost protection is almost irrelevant.

• bhnash
    14 years ago

Joe said: "It's material I've gathered over many years in this area (SWGB Zones 14, 15, 16, 17). I've created calendars for all four of these zones."

Joe, I'd love to see your list for zone 16 if it differs much from your zone 14 list above - pretty please :)

• temiha
    14 years ago

Sorry for the confusion. According to the Western Book, I am a zone 11 and then according to The Vegetable Garden, I am a zone 8-10. I live in Palmdale which is in the Antelope Valley, about 50 miles NE of Los Angeles CA.

Where am I? What zone am I? I am sooo confused.

I think I will try to grow a few veggies for the first time..I will try beets, garlic and maybe beans...If the stars align...lol

Here is a link that might be useful: The Vegetable Garden

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

temiha, You are Sunset zone 11 probably, not USDA zone 11. The Sunset zones are more precise and area-specific than the USDA zones, which are based only on typical coldest winter temperature. Palmdale is probably USDA zone 9a.

• Holly DeVito
    14 years ago

holldoll777~ Will you direct seed your broccoli,kale, lettuce & spinach? Where will you be getting your garlic from? I'm curious because that's the last "seed" I need to get, but not sure where to get them.

Yes, I'm going to direct seed them. I'm trying to decide right now if I went to rip out my pathetic peppers and eggplant and put them in, or wait a little while longer. I'm getting my elephant garlic from a friend's dad that grows it, but I know you can buy a garlic from the store and plant it.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio