Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purple_sage

Anyone familiar with Tecoma stans?

Purple-Sage
10 years ago

Is anyone familiar with Tecoma stans?
Sunset book suggests pruning faded flowers to lessen production of seed pods. I'd like to know if the seedpods are just considered messy, or are they likely to be sprouting up all over the yard?
I was interested in this tree because per Sunset book, it is heat and drought tolerant, blooms from spring to early winter, and is fast growing.
I know one local nursery sells it, but I haven't noticed it growing around here.
I need a tough standard tree or lifted shrub for a western exposure against a wall. Would prefer something with color.
Modesto CA (Central Valley)
Any suggestions?
Thank you

Comments (9)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

Its not evergreen. Not a fast grower for me. Mines about 4-5 years old and about a lanky 5'x4'. That's in the bay area. I like the yellow trumpets all summer. And the foliage is very nice. The pods aren't especially messy..and if you like plants add interest I think.
    I would think everything about it would be faster in the valley. And when you first plant them,give them much water for a summer or two. After that,they seem to take care of themselves on occasional summer water. Oh,and this year I tried fertilizer and they did respond well.
    They aren't Oleanders..so with some care they do better.

• Purple-Sage
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, your reply is very much appreciated. I'd like to give this tree a try. I too love the flowers.

• socal23
    10 years ago

It's mostly to prolong bloom. Just so you are aware, frost damage is going to keep it shrubby for you in your location.

Ryan

• akarinz
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of my tecoma that you might enjoy. :)

Karin

• evilscott
    10 years ago

The love full sun and heat!

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

If you want a tree, make sure you get the Tecoma stans and in tree form. There are a number of shorter shrub types (Mayan Gold or Lydia, for example) that only reach 5-6 feet in height after a few years. I had one T. stans I pruned into tree form at a former house, now mine are only shrubs. T. stans in south Orange County has reached 13' in 1.5 years from a 1.5 gal container---with pruning. I consider that quite fast growth. They bloom profusely from spring through November here, but do look ratty in the winter. Summer foliage is attractive. It is best to prune the seed pods off, but I have never had missed ones sprout more than 1-2 seedlings, if that. Goldfinches sometimes pluck the ripe pods clean for me.

• bahia
    10 years ago

you might also consider the orange flowering hybrid Tecoma x smithii or T. 'Orange Jubilee' as a substitute for Tecoma stans, as they are better adapted to northern California winters, and also can bloom more heavily over a longer period without needing to be deadheaded. I haven't had any reseeding of T. x smithii here in the East SF Bay Area.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

I should mention I have 'Gold Star'. Blooms late spring to fall. Interestingly enough, in ground has been easy-- but does need watering - yet another bought at the same time died in a pot in a rainy winter.
    Also,they do a good job of imitating Mandavilla vines..those z10b beauty's that are far more needy of heat and water and no tolerance to frosts.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Karin, your garden is beautiful. I love the way you have screened out the neighbors to create a little oasis there.
    Renee