Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting under Magnolia

Posted by kristie_2007 15 & 16 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 17:13

I live in a mediterranean climate (zone 9) on the Central Coast of California. I want to convert my lawn to a native plant garden but an obstacle I have is my 20+ year old magnolia. It is on the west side with a cool corner.

I could keep grass around it but then I would have to mow it and water. I am looking to reduce my watering since it is becoming a precious commodity.

I love this tree but am not sure what to plant underneath which would be best for the tree and low maintenance.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting under Magnolia

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 22:27

See if you can actually get a shovel into the area, or is it solid roots? You could just let the grass die and keep the area mulched. It will look neat and tidy that way. There's no law that says you have to plant anything under a tree. The tree would be perfectly happy to be undisturbed. It's a pretty tree and requires no further decoration.

o

If you want an evergreen shade tolerant ground cover you might try Pachysandra. I grew it under a very large conifer with very little water. Al

o

Thank you. I am going to look into the Pachysandra.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 20:50

a ground cover of Dwarf Mondo Grass. or Acorus gramineus Ogon, or Vinca minor or Carex tumulicola.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here