Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Night blooming yellow wildflower

Posted by marti_ 9b So. Ca. (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 08 at 18:18

Does anyone know of a wildflower that blooms at night. I no longer have it, but I would sure love to know the name or get some seeds. It grows about 3 to 4 feet high and late evening you can actually watch the flowers open before your eyes. It is so fun for children to see. It has pure yellow blooms which go away when the morning sun comes up. Hope someone knows of this plant so they can help me find it.
Thank you so much
Marti

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Night blooming yellow wildflower

Is this it,a night blooming cereus?? I've only seen it in white,with some yellow in the center,
Kathi

http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/july/papr/nbcereus.html

o

Evening primrose- Oenothera biennis

Here is a link that might be useful: Oenothera biennis

o

Be careful about planting it. It is extremely invasive.

o

• Posted by marti_ 9b So. Ca. (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 19:08

Thanks for the information! I think it must be the evening primrose. I looked at some photos. Seems like there are quite a few varities, but one of the photos looks like what I may have had. The plant I had was not at all invasive. Thanks again!!

o

My grandmother had that going in her garden back in Texas. When I visited with her as a kid, we'd make sure to go out at just the right time in the evening to watch them unfurl. I remember being thrilled each time I saw it. I'd love to have them again here in remembrance of those days. She's the one who really encouraged my gardening passion.

--Ron

o

Maybe it's O. acaulis. I think that species is pretty dramatic in it's unfurling and gets about the right height.

wanda

o

I found the one my grandmother grew, or it sure looks like it to me: Oenothera erythrosepala. I kept thinking the others I've seen didn't look quite right, but this one was exactly how I remembered, including the touch of red, and the foliage. It was perennial for her, made a mound of foliage all winter, then shot up in Spring to make the 4' or so stalks, with blooms ringing them near, but not at the top.

I think I'll try to find some seeds or plants of that. She had a friend who collected unusual plants, so maybe she got it from him.

--Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here