Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody in Cal. ever grown Selaginella?

Posted by stanofh (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 18:22

I've killed them every time..blue,gold,dwarf,giant. Not one has survived. And yet they are native to cold areas..so here is no problem. They look so great at Lowes- blue color and all.
Anybody do well with them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody in Cal. ever grown Selaginella?

HAVE TO HAVE QUALITY WATER. Distilled or Reverse Osmosis water, a well draining substrate, should not stay soggy, high humidity, and kept in shade with only an hour or so of exposure to sunlight.

o

Water quality is top notch. Hetch Hechy from Yosemite. After that,its clay soils and moderate summer humidity. Low by east coast standards. High enough to not bother tree ferns and all manner of ferns like Playcerium superbum and bifurcatum. Even a Huperzia squarrosa. But,I grant you..Selaginella might want dripping wet humidity.
I tried over the years..they started dying the moment they left the store or nursery. I was just wondering if somebody in Cali had a good looking planting..maybe a hanging basket or in ground?.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 17:04

I and others here in the SF Bay Area find various forms of Selaginella kraussiana quite easy to grow in bright shade. It does particularly well for me as a container plant underplanting to taller plants.

o

You have any photo's?..give me an idea of what light you have? I might go back to Lowes..

And if Carlos is also reading this..would it do better in moss mounted on a tree? There is almost nothing about the plants sold in habitat. Rocks ,trees or in ground?

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 23:29

They don't need sopping wet conditions, but shouldn't go dry either. I don't find Selaginella krussiana difficult to grow, limes similar condtions to Baby Tears. In my garden, I've got it planted in a pot with Babaco that gets a little direct morning sun, but it's also done well in north facing courtyard plantings that only get direct sun in summer late in the day. It prefers well drained yet moisture retentive soils that don't get too dry. My container plants get some water every other day in warm weather.

o

Thanks David. I did go back-lol, I couldn't resist one in particular that was blue tinged. I might divide in half..half in ground,half in a pot. Hedge my bet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here