Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Argentine ants, less this year?

Posted by bob_b Sunset 14, Ca. (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 26, 09 at 18:27

I am seeing far fewer Argentine ants around my house and yard this year, and I would like to think it's because of the effort I have put into controlling them (the past few years ) with boric acid. What are the populations of Argentines like where you live?

RB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Argentine ants, less this year?

Like army ants. With pets and such I cant do much. Why cant cats eat ants?

o

I commented yesterday to DH that this week was the first time I had ants crawling all over me as I watered. They have been farming aphids here and there, huge marching lines of them had not been using my hose and arms as freeways until this week.
Renee

o

My Argentine ant population is down dramatically this year. My native ants are back. About twice the size and faster afoot and red instead of black. About half the size of carpenter ants, but still able to bite. When they get into the house they are easier to get rid of than the Argentine variety. In the yard I find them under stored pots and lumber scraps and they run up my arms when I disturb their cover. Al

o

We've only had one home invasion this summer... which is a first. We've usually had 3 or 4 by now.

o

I tried for four years baiting with borate laced sugar solutions. Followed all the recomendations from the UC Riverside study. Then when I read that they decided that fipronil worked better I tried it. First I barrier treated the house foundation. Absolutely amazing, no ants in our around the house for over a year with just one treatment. As for the garden that is another story. I won't use the stuff any where anything is growing unless I can contain it to spill proof bait stations or ant trials that cross an object that I can lightly spray and later remove without ever having touched the soil. When I can do this, it totally wipes out that satellite colony.

So to answer the question. I have had fewer argentine ants this year for a reason.

o

I guess they all decided to hang out at my place this year. They got in the house for the first time this year. Two hiways to the dog food bowls. Now I keep squishing the scouts around the house. I'm sure it's the heat that drives them indoors.

Spectracide Bug stop works pretty well indoors and out and has almost no smell so it's easy to deal with. We keep the dogs out of the area when we spray it and once the buggers are dead we mop the area clean. I just keep it sprayed wherever they surfaced from and the dogs don't seem to be attracted to it.

o

Hi,

Im writing from a TV production company called Darlow Smithson Productions, based in London, UK. Im the producer on a new series for Animal Planet about infestations.

This series examines both the 'natural history' of various types of pests and how they behave, in addition to the stories of homeowners who find them a nuisance.

I'm looking for people who have had bad ant infestations, especially of Argentine ants. If you have a story of an extreme infestation, please contact me below. We're also looking for home video footage of infestations, so don't hesitate to record the evidence if you're having a problem.

My contact details follow...

Many thanks,

Rebecca North

Producer

Extreme Infestation for Animal Planet
Darlow Smithson Productions
rebecca.north@darlowsmithson.com
+44 (0)207 482 7027

o

Oh,then I guess Im your guy. My head just touches the Sapote trees...I have ants on my head. I water the back yard in summer..they pour out of the cracks in the cement-and I have ants swarming up my pant legs. Make sure you check under the collar just when you think you've brushed all off is my advise.
And if anything dies or is stepped on in the yard...the ants devour it.
The only good to the recent cool weather-is the ants are on the down low..

o

Hi stanofh

I'm working with Rebecca on this Animal Planet documentary.

I'd love to have a chat with you about the ants.

Would it be possible to get your phone number?

My email address is: kate.boddington@darlowsmithson.com or you can call me on 0044 207 482 7027.

We are based in England so there's a bit of a time difference, but I should be able to call you first thing your morning time.

Thanks

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here