Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

Larner CA poppies seeds

Laurel Zito
12 years ago

I wanted to post, I feel bad, because I said I got no sprouts from the Larner colored mixed CA poppies. I did get them, but it took twice as long as I imaged, and I had to reseed again. Maybe birds ate them the first time? They are starting to bloom and they are really cute. They are good as a wild flower ground cover, that does not get too tall. If the were the tall poppies, the hose ends up wrapping around them and uprooting them. This is on sand dune soil that is unamended, and hardly anything but weeds can grow on it.

Comments (9)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

Glad they turned out for you. I have always been satisfied with Larner seeds. Al

• toyon
    12 years ago

California poppies have a habit of doing that if they are sown at the wrong time of the year, of if the seeds are a few years old.

You will probably see a few more germinate this fall.

• bug_girl
    12 years ago

So far, I have pink, dark and light orange and yellow flowers. I was hoping for a clear red, because that is my favorite. They used to be one with a clear red, I think it was burpee or botanical interests. It was not Mikado red, those run to orange. The mission bells are not as nice. I have not seen that mix for years and I don't think they make it any more. If only the red ones would reseed.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    12 years ago

I have actually bought red California Poppy seeds from Home Depot, I can't remember the brand---they hang on a wire carousel near the other seed racks, in clear baggies with a paper labels. They sell all red, or regular too, or mixed colors. Other seeds on the carousel are vegetables and other flowers, too. Check it out!

Carla in Sac

• bug_girl
    12 years ago

I saw them on the website. It's a brand I never heard of

Stover Red Poppy California Seed
    Model # 79052-6
    Store SKU # 487869

$3.97 /EA-Each

But the photo looks like the right ones, they are very clear red and red red red with out any orange

• sautesmom Sacramento
    12 years ago

Yep, that's them. And they do grow out that color, not orange-y at all.

Carla in Sac

• dicot
    12 years ago

I'm no poppy expert, but I thought there's two main types of CA poppies, the heirloom natives that are hard to germinate and have more vigor and the hybrids that are bred for high germination rates as a favorable genetic trait, at the expense of some toughness? Yay or nay? If so, Ms. Larner likely sells the harder to germinate heirloom type.

• bug_girl
    12 years ago

Actually there are two kinds, the ones we get that are weeds that become invasive and the ones we buy in seed packs that are colored, and those won't reseed, but if you buy the orange ones those will I think reseed. I never bought them because I already get them as reseeds anyway as weed, so there is no need to buy them. The key is the color or maybe the colored ones reseed but come back as orange having crossed breed with the wild ones, that wiped out the colors.

• bug_girl
    12 years ago

I misspoke when I said they don't reseed. I only know that the other colored poppies which I can't find anymore, did not reseed, but the Larner could reseed, but I have been reseeding them myself with new ones, so I don't now if I am getting reseeds yet. I am trying to cover an area that used to be lawn and replace with lovely natives that take less water then a lawn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Larner red poppy just appeared

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH