Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

Don't like the way my pool looks.

hosenemesis
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I don't like the way my pool looks. It sticks out too much, instead of blending in with the rest of the yard.

I come out of my bedroom door (to the left down that grassy path and then a sharp left) and jump into the pool. So the grass path to the left has to stay. The step is just broken concrete mortared together. I don't like it. I think I need some plants around the pool or something- but I can't figure out what or where to put them.

{{gwi:546973}}

The duranta behind the pool will hide the fence by next year, so I'm okay with the area behind it. I just don't know how to landscape to the left and in front of it. Any ideas?

Renee

Comments (5)

• tressa
    12 years ago

Hi Renee, a beautiful urn in the front with a chair and table?

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

How about more palms on the left side? Maybe a nice gardenia vechii in front for some fragrance (and no significant leave drop)?? Very lovely and enchanting!

Patty S.

• silversword
    12 years ago

Have you seen these?

I'm thinking if you could make something like this, but only one sided you could plant something that will hang over the top or sides so it looks more like a grotto. Either that, or a couple of pieces of bamboo over the top.

Do you swim in this pool?

• bahia
    12 years ago

Some low growing flowering or foliage accents to face down the wall height such as lavandula stoechas, tulbaghia villages, acorus gramineus ogon or carex oshimensis evergold as edging. A couple of taller vertical yet lacey plants to the left side such as dianella intermedia or dierama pulcherrima or wachendorfia thyrsiflora for seasonal height...

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone.

Tressa, there used to be a table and chairs there before the pool was there and it looked great. Now it's too small for that, because you will fall into the pond if you try to get out of a chair.

Patty, GARDENIA???? If you have not yet been over to the CA FAQ page, take a look at the Infamous Suicidal Gardenia Thread. I need to stop assisting suicidal gardenias. I love the palms, but any closer and I might get impaled by those big old thorns they have. That's why I have hesitated even though they are cheap and would look good.

Silversword, the pool is 5x8 feet. Diving is not allowed, and swimming is a bit difficult. Some day it will be a hot tub, but for now, it's a cold tub. That is exactly what I would like- something that makes you feel enclosed. But I don't want too much debris in there, since there is no skimmer.

Bahia- I have always wanted dierama pulcherrima. My original idea was to plant cattails in front of the thing, but they run. Then I thought about Spuria irises, which also have the sword-shaped tall foliage, but most people cut them back in June/July, right when I would like the foliage there most. Dierama may be the perfect substitute for cattails, and I already have acorus around the pond, which is only a few feet away. That would help blend in that wall o'stone.

I'll post photos when I have changed it.
    Renee