Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmag_gw

Invasive vine identification

bmag
10 years ago

Hello,

The vine in the photo has been taking over my backyard. Can anyone help me in identifying it?

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of it?

thanks!

Comments (10)

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    10 years ago

I can't tell if those leaves are tiny but if they are, it might be wire vine (some people call it angel vine), sold as a houseplant in decorative little pots in nurseries. I saw it some years ago in San Francisco when I was getting near Baker Beach and it covered a whole hillside in late summer. Min

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Yes, it is Wire Plant, Muehlenbeckia axillaris. I grow it in pots and barrels, but it escapes occasionally and I have to dig it out. As far as removal- it depends upon where it originates- if it is coming from a neighbor's property, you will have to monitor the property line. If it originates on your property, you can just dig it out. I imagine it also dies if you spray it with Round-up, but you would have to be persistent, because the dead-looking stuff underneath will sprout fresh green leaves after the top is killed. This stuff is used on freeway banks to cover them- so you can imagine how big a plant gets.
    Renee

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Used as a drought-tolerant groundcover.

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

To you it is a pest while to me it is my lovely ground cover.

• WinslowsMom
    10 years ago

I like the looks of this. I have been using Bacopa for a ground cover but I don't like the smell at all. Does this wire plant have a scent ?

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

No scent so far but it would have to be in a large area. This is not something you mix in a flower bed.

• nil13
    10 years ago

just because a plant is vigorous doesn't mean it's invasive. This plant isn't listed as invasive in Cal-IPC.

• sffog
    10 years ago

wire vine had it on a fence in my backyard, it grew up the redwood tree , mounded on the fence , my children could jump on it like a mattress when it was mounded up. it was terrible. i had to use an herbicide to get rid of it.this was before the invention of roundup which i don't routinely use. we cut as much as we could and sprayed it with brush kill which kills poison oak, it keep coming back so you have to keep on top of it for a couple of years. after about 2 years we got rid of it.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Perhaps invasive isn't the right word, if that has a specific meaning. I would call it a garden thug, at least in my conditions. I like it enough to keep it, though.

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

I don't deny that it is a spreader. I routinely trim the edge. Same as one would do with Bermuda grass. I control it's growth by not watering it. It can get much taller but I mow or shear it when required. Someone mistook it for dichondra and I was delighted.