Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fernaldia Pandurata

Posted by central_cali369 USDA z9b/ Sunset z9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 19:26

Hi all,

I recently started some fernaldia pandurata from seed and now have close to 60 little seedlings that are growing very fast! This is a vine native to the highlands and cloud forests of Central America (notably El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras) that is grown for the edible flower buds and is a staple crop in those regions. Has anyone grown this outdoors? I figure I have enough plants to experiment with one outside, but I'm just wondering if anyone, particularly in Southern California or the coastal climates has successfully grown it outdoors?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fernaldia Pandurata

I thought I'd update you all with a photo of the seedlings as they are doing now. I have given away several seedlings and have kept 30 for myself. The ones I gave away are now in different parts of the state for others to experiment growing the vines. A friend of mine will be growing one in Richmond, CA and it is my guess that his is probably going to be the plant that grows and flowers best here in Northern CA. I'll be growing mine as potted plants in a greenhouse, and will try planting one out next spring to see how it fares outdoors in the ground.

o

Here are some pics for anyone interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics

o

I'm trying to get a few plants of these. I live in California and would like to purchase a few plants for my home. Please contact me through email grammasempanadas@yahoo.com. I really appreciate it.

o

I would love to purchase two of these plants. I live in Southern California.

I can't email you. Please contact me at smwebb (at) msn.com.

o

Hi atipul and Shorty_CA. I don't have any plants for sale. I have about 60 in the ground, but none that I can uproot and send. My goal is to get them to bloom this summer, and if I'm successful at it, I may have seeds to share in the future.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here