Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnapatio

patio in dg area

donnapatio
9 years ago

Hi. We are hoping to install a paverstone patio in a DG area. Our house sits on decomposed granite. What should go under our paverstone patio? Would just an inch or so of sand do? The patio is bordered on two sides by concrete. Thanks. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments (8)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

There is a patio and porch forum in the home site, but it doesn't seem to be too active.

If you put a photo of the area, maybe some lurking contractor will give you some help. Is it just a strip between a driveway and a sidewalk? How big is it? What will you use to frame it?

Suzi

• donnapatio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is an area in the "front" of our home. The goal with this space was to have grass in that dirt section. We previously had sprinklers put in, but two different attempts at grass failed. It encouraged weed growth and our dogs just tore it up anyway. Now it's just a mess. I'd like to go with hardscape. It's 375 sq feet. Two sides are bordered by concrete, one side is supposed to have wood chip/playgound mulch, and the fourth side (right) would be just "natural" dirt.

If we dig down 7 inches we will hit rock...that rock being granite. Kinda seems like overkill, but I'd rather do it right the first time. But also not do the dg base if I don't have too.

Thank you so much for any advice you could give. I didn't see a patio forum. There were so many forums. Must have missed it. Thanks again!

9 years ago

You have beautiful views! Not sure where you are, but we have the same issues. In a row, we planted a hedge. 2 plants thrived. The others die. There is a boulder under there. Solid.

If this is the front of your home, you could do something spectacular like stamped concrete.

We just finished some hardscape to fix a dirt strip, but ours was 700 sq. ft. The saga with pictures is here at the landscape forum linked below.

If we bump this enough, others are sure to chime in! I feel your pain. Same boat, different mountain.

Suzi

Here is a link that might be useful: How we fixed a similar issue

• donnapatio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Suzi! I think we might be neighbors. We are in the Riverside area. Thanks for the link. Your backyard is beautiful, and what a view you have too! I love what you did with it. That's the thing with a view...you have to make it comfortable to be outside otherwise you hole up in your home. (At least I do.)

I would be open to stamped concrete, I was just looking for something inexpensive. I thought maybe with the pavers we could do some of it ourselves.

When we were building this house we could never quite get a firm estimate. "That will cost x dollars UNLESS we hit rock." :)

9 years ago

Ha! That's what I thought when I saw your view. I looked across the ravine, and just wondered.....

Our house was built in 1987. It was a short sale and a hot mess when we got it. The house was seriously dated. Decks were rotting and termite ridden. It all had to be redone, and it wasn't cheap. We have city light views, and pastoral views, but big mountains all around.

We are on Riverside county property, agricultural water, and we overlook Hemet. We spend a lot of time up-in Idyllwild just to chill. We have planted a small vineyard and many fruit trees down our hill, and we go slipping and sliding on that DG!! I don't go down there without a hiking staff! Stability!!

One thing we didn't do, and I wish we had, was sink umbrella holders in our concrete. It's so windy here, it's hard to get a holder not to tip over, but shade is nice on a hot summer day.

If nobody answers you here, just re-post with your photo at the landscape forum.

Good luck with your paver question. Don't give up. Someone will assist for sure!

Suzi

• donnapatio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A small world to be sure! Thanks Suzi.

9 years ago

There has to be a forum to answer you, or a website. You need help. I did my best.

Money is no object with us, but it appears you want a less expensive option aka pavers. You do know that weeds will grow between them, right? you know that.

We have bricks separating spaces in our driveway, and weeds are rampant. Sad thing for you, is this is concrete!

Bite the bullet! Put something permanent in. JMHO

xoxoxo

Suzi

• donnapatio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your help Suzi! You crack me up!