Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something is nibbling my phlox

Posted by laila_2009 17 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 20:32

What do I apply to prevent phlox nibblers please? Could be snails, earwigs, squirrels, rabbit

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something is nibbling my phlox

For snails and earwigs, Sluggo Plus. For squirrels and rabbits, fences and cages.
Renee

o

Just mixed some Trader Joes habanero sauce and water, and sprinkled it on, then put some diatulmateous earth around each plant. Those are the things I had on hand. hope those will not destroy.

o

That won't hurt your plants. Be very careful with the diatomaceous earth and wear a mask when you spread it- it wreaks havoc on your lungs. Those little sharp diatoms cut the air sacs.

You can also use a tuna tin with a half-inch of oil in it- just place it in the garden. Earwigs crawl in and can't get out. Here's a thread with some suggestions for dealing with earwigs. Good luck, fellow gardener.

Here is a link that might be useful: Earwig Invasion thread

o

Most of my Phlox benefit from the nibbling back done by my deer which tends to keep them from getting too tall. Unfortunately their timing is not always optimum for the Phlox. Baiting for slugs is a routine requirement here. Al

o

It may have worked. Checking this morning, the phlox that was in full bloom last night, had just one nibble off one pettle. that diatomaceous earth looks terrible. I put rings of it around the plants. this morning it looks stained brown.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here