Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kyuhayi

benjamina is drying to die

kyuhayi
12 years ago

benjamina had lots of leave 2 month ago at Home Depot.

It is not the first time growing benjamina indoor.

Watering once a week, not direct but plenty of sun.

Without reason since I brought it into my living room, it slowly dying.

I found some black small things onto its branches.

Please tell me what that is , how can I revive this.

Comments (6)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Ficus benjamina are very sensitive to being moved. They will react by dropping their leaves, which you may already know if you've grown a Ficus benjamina before. The "black small things" on the branches may be scale, but hard to know without seeing them. If you can snap some photos and include them in your post, we can help you to diagnose your little tree. Lastly, be sure you're not overwatering. Check the bottom of the pot with a moisture meter to make sure your little plant isn't sitting in a pool of water. You also might find more assistance in the House Plants forum, too.

Patty S.

• kyuhayi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks hoosierquilt
    The tree is just less than 6 feet.

Size is like a rice.

{{gwi:547691}}

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Yes, that is scale, as Patty suspected. You can scrape them off, but try not to remove too much bark. I would also put the tree outdoors in the shade to recover, then bring it indoors after it has grown some new leaves.
    Renee

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Oh my, that's a whopping case of scale!

Because you've had the tree only two months, the scale came with it.

Hope you have your receipt so you can exchange it. If not, try anyway.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

I agree with both Jean and Renee. If you want the Benjamina you will have to accept the defoliation that comes with the move. Just resign yourself to a period of location adjustment, when the tree will look ratty. Al

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Okay, agreed, whopping case of scale. Take it back to Home Depot and get your money back before it infects the rest of your house plants. Scale is almost impossible to get rid of, with either home remedies or big-time insecticides. The best way to eradicate scale - get rid of the plant. If you have not already isolated this plant, do so immediately so it does not spread scale to the rest of your houseplants, or you're going to end up with a very expensive "remedy".

Patty S.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz