Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine ID Please?

Posted by hoosierquilt z10a/23 Vista Calif (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 21:34

I have this very pretty vine that seems to be deciduous, losing its leaves during the winter. But, during the summer it has the most curious flower. I think the purple "flower" is actually probably a bract, and the true flower is the smaller yellowish part is the true flower. Anyway, it is a very cool vine! Here are a couple of pics of the flower, anyone know what this might be?? Bahia, I bet you know:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Patty S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine ID Please?

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 22:43

Dalechampia dioscoriefolia / Bow Tie Vine....

o

Thanks, wcgypsy! Awesome. Will go read up on this cute little vine. I just love the flowers, they are so unique.

Patty S.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 20, 11 at 13:46

Love that! You're right about the flowers, Patty -- Sunset describes the blossoms measuring up to 6" across with "tiny yellow flowers appearing between two violet bracts".

I'm looking for a vine to cover one of the posts of our patio. I'm going to add this one to the list.

o

This vine, if given enough water, will really fill in quickly. I have not had any skin irritation when handling it, and I have pretty sensitive skin (almost redhead), but worth mentioning since it's in the Euphorbia family. It will also bloom quite prolifically with more water. Very, very cool flower. I thought I had killed it off a couple of times. But now, since I have my blueberries and a blackberry in pots, in front of this fence (which screens my trash cans as you can kind of see if the background), it's getting much more water via the water draining out of the holes of the pots. It is much, much happier!

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here