Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkhappy

Can someone tell me what's wrong?

Pkhappy
11 years ago

I've had this southern highbush "jubilee" blueberry bush for about 3 months. It started out in a 5 gallon container, moved it to a 10 and now it's in what I hope is the final home a 15 gallon container. It's started brown leaves and reddish tips last month in (I hope you can see it in the pic used my cell phone). Any thoughts?

Comments (10)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Your problem is relevant to the mix you planted it in. Give us the composition of the mix and any additions you made. Al

• Pkhappy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Al for responding. Here is the mix 1/3 coconut coir, 1/3 homemade (6 month old) compost, 1/3 Kellog�s patio plus potting soil, 1 cup of vermiculite and Espoma soil acidifier as per package directions. Which said 1 tablespoon per diameter of pot or something like that. I don�t have the package in front of me. So am I killing my baby? Can it be saved? Thanks again.

11 years ago

Hi pkhappy, I looked at your member page and noted one of your favorite sites was the container forum. I know you are a new member and welcome your posts. If you look on the container forum and notice the recommendations for container mixes you will see how they differ from what you are using. For container growing good drainage is the most important consideration, and I don't see your mix meeting that basic requirement. Al

• Pkhappy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Al. Just read your post on water movement about 30 minutes ago. Real eye opener for me. Explains a lot of the problems i have with my comtainer garden. Got a lot of things to correct so that my fall planting and spring Planting dont turn out the same way. If i correct this problem will my bush recover?

11 years ago

This is not the Al you are thinking of, but no matter, if you are reading tapla Al's post you are on your way to solving the problem. Al

• Pkhappy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry and thanks Al. My garden is on an upstairs patio. The patio is concrete and roofing tar so it gets really hot. I've been tracking the temps downstairs outside and up. Basically if it's 90 downstairs the temp upstairs will range from 5-10 degrees higher. Do you think that could also be a factor?

11 years ago

Good morning. You don't say the location is in full sun, but to reach those temps it probably is. I would guess it is going to be too much heat and or sun for your blueberry, no matter what you do in that location. Al

• Pkhappy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Al. It is full sun all day. I have several canopies up there to help cool it down some. It has been a challenge growing up there for sure.

Best,
    Pamela

• silversword
    11 years ago

Hi Pamela,
    My blueberries are looking similar (except a lot worse!!) and they are in the ground. I'm thinking too much sun :(

• Pkhappy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey silverwood,
    My neighbor told me it looks like a fingus or something like that because a new bush i had just brought started having similar systems a few days after bringing it home, plus it developed powdery mildew. Her advice was to start removing the bad leaves as i find them and use 1 tsp of baking soda, a little dish soap and a few drops of cooking oil in a gallon of water and mist the leaves (early mornin) top and bottom every 2-3 days.

Well since i started doing it, both have been improving. The mildew is gone on the new bush and the one in the pic looks much better. See less and less problems.

The formula can be used as maintenance (once or twice a month i think) also. It's good for tomatoes also.

I am going to repot both to improve the aeration as Al (calistoga) suggested. Considering using Al (tapla) gritty mix for them.