Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate_may_gw

Climbers / Vines

Kate-May
9 years ago

I am planning to put climbers in this space. Can you please tell me which climbers we can use to have it cover the wall and have blooms this summer/ fall ? I searched and found that Sweet Autumn Clematis can be one option. Can you come up with a better idea? FYI we are in Bakersfield zone 9, this place gets afternoon sun.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (13)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Are you talking about the wall around the window? And does this area face west (that would be afternoon sun)?

And what do you plan for the vine attach itself to? There are vines that must be tied to their support, vines that climb by twirling around things, and vines that have little sticky pads. The first two need wires or trellis or something, and the last can damage stucco.

Blooms THIS summer and fall--usually vines take a few years to really develop. If you want something fast and nearly instant, well...you could plant a climbing rose that comes in a big pot already attached to a trellis--that type of thing, if you want instant results.

• Kate-May
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your reply. I am planning to put trellis with netting if I go for Clematis. But yeah! after googling for so long last night I noticed that Clematis takes about 3 years to establish but worth the wait.
    This place faces south, a bit to the west.
    Do you suggest then that I put a climbing rose? Before Clematis I looked at roses for a long time. I liked the Wedgwood or Gertrude Jekyll for example. What kind of rose you suggest? for sure with the longest blooming period and high growing rate :D
    We move into this house in about 10 days and perhaps won't live there more than 4-5 yrs. So I want to be able to enjoy the beauty of what I am planting before we move again :D
    I read somewhere that I can put roses and Clematis together. What would be ur suggestion for a combination of these 2?

• princesspea
    9 years ago

Try hopping over to the clematis forum, people are super helpful with advice about co-planting specific varieties of roses and clematis. Tho they are often unable to tell me how to deal with California climate, they at least have lots of ideas and are free with the photos.
    Pea

• Kate-May
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I did, after this post... But yeah! weather here is so harsh and even in here it is total different than weather in coastal areas. I am having a hard time figuring out what to plant and not to fail!!

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

I'm thinking that Austin roses would not be happy in 90+ temps. Which looks like June thru Aug. in Bakersfield from a google search. I would ask on the rose forum what climbers accept that heat. Stress the tempertures to get appropriate responses.

The southern sun on the stucco and rock with reflected heat from the sidewalk may increase the heat. If all else fails, bougainvillea? Does anyone in the area have a glorious climber? Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Earth-Kind rose page

• Kate-May
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not anything that could catch my eyes! I've spent hours driving in different areas looking at ppl's house and their landscape trying to figure out what to plant. Bougainvillea does GREAT in coastal areas but not in Bakersfield.
    I will try the rose forum, Thanks :)

• jakkom
    9 years ago

I'm just not in love with clematis. Passionflower yes, clematis no. I can't see the point of something that spends half the year without leaves or flowers when one lives in CA. I'm sorry I ever put two of them in, and I live in coastal CA where they love the weather.

You do need to be aware that an evergreen, vigorous vine can easily destroy your roof, gutters and mar your stucco, however!

• Central_Cali369
    9 years ago

I would never grow anything that attaches itself directly to the stucco of the house, you'll end up with an nightmare and a very damaged exterior.

Clematis will be difficult to grow in our dry, desert conditions. Even the native clematis has trouble growing in the valley. You'll need constant moisture and the leaf tips may still dry up.

I would suggest a passionfruit vine or any other vine that doesn't attach itself directly to the house (uses a trellis for support.) I am growing Mandevilla Laxa and Quisqualis Indica successfully in Fresno. Both are evergreen and bloom constantly in summer. Bouganvillea do very well in the valley floor as well. I've grown in successfully for years in Chowchilla and in Fresno.

• Central_Cali369
    9 years ago

I will add Pandorea jasminoides and Gelsemium sempervirens. The pandorea wil bloom constantly all summer long and will be evergreen in all but the coldest of winters. gelsemium is also evergreen but will flower mostly in winter.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

Bougainvillea! They are tough, unless you get freezes in winter. They will die back, but be right back blooming like crazy all summer into fall. Drawback is thorns and need to trim often.

Your house is Mediterranean and they will go with it's design.

Don't put cat's claws up there. Impossible to get off!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

If going with Mandevilla, you should know there are new double-flowered varieties from Monrovia such as Tango Twist. These are very beautiful and I think would make a lovely alternative to a thorny rose.

Edit: I meant to refer to Tango Twirl

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/1845/tango-twirl-mandevilla/

This post was edited by musaboru on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 0:26

• a_shau
    9 years ago

âÂÂSunrise Serenadeâ is a really lovely climbing flower that blooms really pretty flowers:

http://www.anniesannuals.com/plt_lst/lists/general/lst.gen.asp?prodid=4132&prp_typ=9

I do think you may need to affix some sort of wires, or something for these to climb upon, as I've noticed they like to curl around other existing branches as they creep up. They find it hard to climb up my lattice fence without help. They bloom really quickly though, if you get one in season.

• Kate-May
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh!! you guys have come up with great ideas while I was busy moving and unpacking!! Thank you all :) Thank you so much! I feel so great to get all this information here on this page. I will post pictures when I get the good results!