Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginnyjj9b

I think Southern California gardeners use Gro Power - like or not

ginjj
11 years ago

I heard about the wonderful fertilizer called Gro Power and after a lot of searching found a source for it here in the San Francisco Bay Area. I understand it is primarily sold in Southern California.

I'm wondering how you like it. I am struggling with the notion that a few granules is all I need when I plant a plug from a large 6 pack. According to the label you need 2 pounds per 100 square feet. By reducing and reducing that turns out to be 1/32nd of a pound per 1 sq foot or so.

I'm surprised to be using soooooo little.

I also have to say I wish the fertilizer manufacturers would realize that many home gardeners don't plant per 100 square feet; I know for me it's a plant here a plant there....

I'd love your feedback if you use this sproduct.

This is an organic product 5-3-1 with humus.

Thanks,

Ginny

Comments (13)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Many of us succeed in the garden without adding anything to our soil other than our own compost. The object is to promote the micro organisms living in the soil which are feeding on the compost and making a garden food chain. I know nothing of the product you mention, but would be interested in the organic source of their nitrogen. The only thing coming to mind with that high a number would likely be chicken manure, or possibly Guano. I guess I am just always cautious of any new garden additives that sound too good to be true. Al

ginjj thanked calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
  • User
    11 years ago

Gro-Power is an exceptional fertilizer. The different formulations can be used in a myriad of ways. I've used it for many years on turf, bromeliads, ferns and palms. My preference is the Gro-Power Plus 5-3-1.

ginjj thanked User
  • socal23
    11 years ago

Al, since they claim it's humus (no doubt the much marketed "active humus" which is another name for finished compost) presumably with blood meal thrown in during the maturation phase to keep the excess nitrogen from volatilizing. Chicken manure is right out since the specifications on the "Gro Power Plus" (same analysis but with sulfer or mycorrhizae added) very clearly state that it "contains no poultry, animal or human waste." (gaining points on the yuck factor but possibly losing points when someone points out that blood meal could be described as industrial waste).

Ryan

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I have used Worm Poop spray on and it works great - no chemicals to burn the soil or kill the beneficial microorganisms.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

I've used it and it's really effective. A pinch for a six-pack sized plant sounds about right, though if you can loosen and lightly fertilize the whole area instead of just the planting hole, that might be easier. Mostly I just mulch with compost regularly, but every so often a dose of fertilizer gives everything a boost.

Be careful with fertilizer in hot weather.

ginjj thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
  • PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    11 years ago

I don't fertilize my garden. Only my potted plants.

ginjj thanked Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
  • aquilachrysaetos
    11 years ago

I don't fertilize. My soil is sandy and rocky. I just let the leaves and needles my trees drop lay there and compost on the spot. It seems adequate for my plants which include roses.

ginjj thanked aquilachrysaetos
  • hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Ginny, I use Gro Power for both my citrus/avocados and my stone fruit trees. I really like it because I'm on mostly DG. I do compost as well, and apply compost and mulch, but my soil is pretty thin, and using Gro Power has really helped, due to all the humic acid in it. I use Flower & Bloom for my stone fruits (lower in N), and Citrus & Avocado Food for my citrus and avocado trees. Great product.

Patty S.

ginjj thanked hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
  • Cole Gee
    4 years ago

@ginjj, can you please tell me where to get Gro-Power in the Bay? I live in San Francisco, Marina District specifically

ginjj thanked Cole Gee
  • ginjj
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I bought it 7 years ago at Golden Nursery in San Mateo. Call them to see if they still have it and if not maybe they can recommend a place to try. https://www.goldennursery.com/

• johntazbaz
    4 years ago

Golden Nursery still sells it.

ginjj thanked johntazbaz
  • PRO
    Sweet Beans
    3 years ago

There’s no animal manure in Gro-Power, be careful using Gro-Power Plus. http://gropower.com/product_pages/gp_product.htm

ginjj thanked Sweet Beans