Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrisnsd_gw

Sources of free mulches and Compost Near San Diego??

chrisnsd
14 years ago

Hi All,

I was hoping to learn of local resources near San Diego and surrounding areas of free or inexpensive composts and mulches/ amendments. For example I know of a mushroom farm in Fallbrook that allows people to pickup free mushroom compost that is a byproduct of their farm... Does anyone know of other good sources for ammendments, compost or mulches? Tomorrow I'll post the info on the mushroom farm...

Comments (11)

• catkim
    14 years ago

The city recycles greenwaste into mulch, free to residents. See link for details.

Here is a link that might be useful: City Environmental Services

• debbysunshine
    14 years ago

The Landfill was amazing ! You could get free mulch equal to 6- 38gallon heavy duty plastic bags full and the mulch is like that expensive stuff at the nursery. They also have compost, and different colored wood chips. There were a couple of large landscape trucks filling up with a fork lift.

• andrea_san_diego
    14 years ago

Every 6 months or so I get the wood chips to mulch my fruit trees but I'd be careful with the compost. It's made with the garden waste that's picked up curbside and you don't know if there are pesticides or bits of bermuda grass or cutting from diseased plants. A certified arborist told me not to use it.

• Nikitas_10a, Corfu
    14 years ago

Andrea,

Properly done composting eliminates pathogenic organisms and kills weed seeds and cuttings. This may be hard to achieve in small garden compost bins, but my guess is that the Miramar Landfill is professional enough to get it right. In their website they have a pdf file that explains the process. Of course that's in theory, reality may be a differen story.

Nikitas

Here is a link that might be useful: Miramar greenery guide

• wendyread_readhomes_com
    12 years ago

would like deliveries of free wood chips or bark or mulch

• californian
    12 years ago

Look on Craigslist. Many times you will see tree trimmers trying to get rid of wood chips and shredded leaves. Some even will deliver it for free, some want gas money, some try to charge for it. But be aware that they usually want to dump the whole truckload, so be prepared to have maybe 12 cubic yards of wood chips sitting in your driveway. You can use what you want and then put your own ad on Craigslist giving away for free what you can't use.

• browngirl2468
    12 years ago

Excellent resources. Thanks for posting! I'm planning to head out to Miramar for free compost and mulch this week!

• lawrencejose
    12 years ago

I've been picking up truckloads of this compost for 3 years after laying a 6 inch layer on my sweet corn bed as mulch 3 years ago....one day I moved some of the top layer aside and was blown away at the millions of redworms that had moved up through the bed and began to congrigate in the top layer of this compost as red worms are wont to do. I've experimented with this compost and all I can say is redworms freek out when you give it to them! They will devoure a 3x3 box 5 feet tall filled with this compost in 4 weeks! Leaving about 3 feet of worm castings behind, crazy stuff. I had brandywine tomatoes all year long this year and still have huge tomatoes coming in in the middle of January.

• tim45z10
    12 years ago

I picked up compost from the SD landfill many times. There used to be sign telling you not to use on tomatoes. Look and see if it is still there. They dont compost long enough to kill all. Once, the compost was full of grass seed. If you load it yourself it is free. If they load it for you it costs $12.

• CostalCompost
    9 years ago

If looking for mulch, or compost in Encinitas, CArlsbad area, try Victroy Nursery.
    Its just off La Costa Ave. They ar not really open to the public all day but if you call for an apointment they will help out.

• HU-932998413
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Mulch is locally available in Encinitas and Carlsbad over at Victory Garden Nursery on Ponto Road off Hwy 101 - just look up Victorymulch.com All I know is it is all organic and not from curbside pick up stuff!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!