Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

I love Amaranth

hosenemesis
13 years ago

{{gwi:548392}}

When I was out planting irises today at 4 pm the light was perfect, but by the time I was done it was not so good. I'll try to get the magical photo tomorrow.

Renee

Comments (8)

• davissue_zone9
    13 years ago

Oh, I haven't grown Love-Lies-Bleeding in a long time, thanks for the memory. I'll have to order seed next year. Have you ever grown the chartreuse variety? Sue

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sue, this is the first year I grew it. I was so excited to find the unmixed seed, because in the mixes the stronger reds crowd out the chartreuse. I'll get a photo of it tomorrow.
    I can send you some seed if you like. Just send me a private email.

Renee

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Garden looks good!

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, hoovb. Here's the chartreuse variety, in the center of the photo. It does not get as big as the others, which were volunteers.

{{gwi:548393}}

Renee

• dicot
    13 years ago

I do like it, but I have also plucked quite a few amaranth volunteers in my time, it reseeds very freely. At least they come right out.

• deep___roots
    13 years ago

Here are my 3 amaranths. Photos taken at 7:30 am so the flash activated, but maybe that shows the colors to better effect. Yes they do reseed like crazy, but I just choose the ones I want depending on location and coloring of the leaves, and pull the rest early. This year the first pix shows the one I call the "king"...looks like a crown, and the green one in back there, beats me what the variety is, maybe "green tower". Both of these are over 6 feet tall and needed some support added as they get top heavy so I put a couple bamboo poles in there.

{{gwi:548394}}
    This one is "elephant head", I think. It is about 5 feet tall.
    {{gwi:548395}}

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love that green colored one. Yours are so tall!
    Renee

• deep___roots
    13 years ago

Yes, there are many amaranths to choose from. I remember when I first saw "loves lies" about 10 years ago in a garden. Made quite an impression. I like the tall ones with big heads. Mix zinnia elegans and the giant marigolds in with them...makes a nice planting. My buddy got some amaranth from me and his have reseeded in the small dirt spaces between his large paving stones. It is a jungle of a shorter red headed version of the green one in my picture. Very neat. I've got to photograph his yard some time.