Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Looking for a Reliable Solar Fountain/Pond Pump

I posted this over on the ponds forum, but thought I'd ask over on the reliable California forum, too. I am trying to find a decent solar pump that I can use in a water feature that is really hard to run electric to. It is a rather large pot, about 3' tall, 3' wide, that we have sitting on an Atlantic Fountain basin. I want the water to bubble over the top, spill down the sides, then recirculate. We have it actually all set up, and ran an extension cord to make sure it works, which is does. But, in actually surveying our yard, and where this pot fountain sits, it would mean having to tunnel under two very nice (and expensive) flagstone walkways. We're afraid of the soil eventually washing away under the walkways where we'd have to tunnel under, thus undermining the walkways and eventually causing then to crack. Not an appealing prospect. So, the alternative is a good quality solar pump that can pump up at least 4'. Can anyone recommend a reputable company AND a pump that is decent and will last? Thanks!

Patty S.

Comments (18)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Short answer there isn't one.

Long answer, the problem is that solar pumps continue to be little more than toys for quite a few reasons. Pumps need a certain amount of power to operate, and one little solar panel doesn't do it. It takes a sizable solar panel and inverter--or more than one--and maybe a battery pack--to power a sizeable pump. The cost would be significant, which shrinks the market by a lot. Then there are safety issues with a solar panel wattage over a certain amount...

What you could do is look at the packages that RV-ers or off-grid people use, that you can use to run an appliance or two, and run an "real" pump off that..maybe..Sound complicated? Well, yes, it is going to take some work and research...and it might be quite a bit of money, and then you have a solar panel array in your yard...and safety issues...and maybe code issues...and do you have a place to put the array where you don't have to look at it and it won't get stolen?

Getting an idea for the problems involved here? Most people consider the situation and then just bite the bullet and run the electrical, or move the fountain where there is already electrical, or get a solar toy pump and it runs a couple of months and then breaks, and they forget about a fountain.

Regarding pumps in general. If you want one that really lasts, go with a non-submersible one. They are also more efficient. However, they are also a lot more expensive. So you can pay $100 every three years for a new pump, or $400 for one that will last 12-20 years. Does that pay off? Maybe, maybe not.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Hoovb. This is exactly what I've found after significant searching and research. Jeepers. Everyone is clamoring for alternative energy sources, but we can't even make a reliable little solar fountain pump. The same reason why I do not have solar panels on my roof. We're just not "there, yet".

Looks like we're going to have to figure out how to run electricity to the fountain. Eventually, we'll want an electrical run there, because we want to light our property with low voltage lighting, so, guess we're just going to have to suck it up, and figure out how to get the run under two very nice flagstone walkways without undermining those walkways. Foo.

Patty S.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

solar lights have a long way to go, also. Although I quite like the little garden ones; they seem to work okay. I was thinking about a solar pump for a water feature too . . .

darn.

• nil13
    9 years ago

Dig down on either side of the walkway and pound a piece of 1/2" galvinized pipe or copper under the walkway. Run electrical through that.

Original Author
    9 years ago

It's not quite that simple, nil. If I have some time today, I'll snap a pic of the area so you can see. There's not a lot of room to do that, and it would require a trench to be dug up to the walkway. Then, not sure if we have enough room to try to pound a piece of conduit under the walkway. It's kind of a tight, awkward area.

Patty S.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

I have in the distant past, been able to drive a pipe under a double driveway, but it did require more than 20 feet space next to the drive to get a reasonable angle. When installing concrete of stone drives or paths since, I have installed a plastic 3 inch plastic pipe to allow for future drip lines or wiring. Al

Original Author
    9 years ago

Exactly, Al. Not really enough "maneuvering" room to do that, I don't think. My hubby and I will need to really assess the situation, and see how we might be able to do that, if at all possible. And, this walkway was installed prior to us purchasing the home, so sadly, we didn't have the ability to think ahead with this one. Which is rather surprising to me, as there is a rather large pvc pipe (probably 3") that travels under our driveway for sprinkers. So, the previous owners did do some thinking ahead, but not with this walkway, sadly.

Patty S.

• gregbradley
    9 years ago

I have not used it but there is a tool at some rental yards that might help. It is a pointed end and a striking end. You dig a 1' long trench and pound the pointed end under the first 6" of the driveway/sidewalk/etc. Then you unscrew the striking end and add a 6" or 1' tube and put the striking end back on. Drive that another 6" or 1' and keep repeating until it comes out the other side. If you have more clearance, you can add a couple feet at a time.
    If it is really tight on both sides, you can reverse the process to get it out when you are done.
    If it is a fragile sidewalk, you would need to be careful that you are well under it and don't hit the underside of the walk. Hopefully they put solid concrete under them if they are flagstone, brick, etc.

It is very much like digging a well and adding casing one length at time.

There are also services that will come out with a computer controlled boring system that will follow a guided path. You can start the hole at the street and have it steer around a tree in the middle of the front yard and then turn straight up 6" before the house. The truck needs to get close to the start of the hole so it won't help if its behind the house and inaccessible. The set up or minimum charge is high so it is mostly practical for long runs or several runs done at one house or on one street.

This post was edited by GregBradley on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 16:09

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Greg. I'll check out our local rental yard for this tool. The walkway is very well done, and has a significant footing and underlayment. So, not worried about cracking the walkway - just getting fully underneath it. Any other options start to get ridiculously expensive.

Patty S.

Original Author
    9 years ago

That looks nice for your application, Evelyn, but won't work for my very large pot fountain, unfortunately. I need a pump that will pump up at least 3 feet and that will fit in the pot without taking up the entire surface with a solar panel.

Patty S.

• Evelyn256
    9 years ago

Yep, understand. I didn't read previous posts...

• catkim
    9 years ago

I used a small solar water pump for a similar purpose, which was inexpensive and lasted about a year. If you don't mind replacing it periodically, just look online. I had to place the small pump on top a stack of bricks inside the pot in order for it to move the water to the surface. You won't find a solar pump that will move the water from the bottom of your pot, I don't think. The solar panel was mounted a short distance from the pot.

The bigger problem was raccoons searching for fish in the pot -- there were none, but they kept looking, toppling the pump and the few submerged potted plants. Very strangely,and most disturbing, a hummingbird drowned in the pot, and I found another bird trapped under the stream of water, just too weak to move out of the shower, though it wasn't much. I warmed him up and he flew away. Be prepared to deal with a few unexpected events; your fountain will be attractive to wildlife.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Catkim, this will be our 6th water feature on our property, so I know about the wildlife attraction for sure. In fact, our very large fountain that sits in a small pool got toppled a couple of years ago. The only animal that could have done that was a very large racoon. Mind you, this fountain stands about 8' tall. The top 3 tiers were toppled over one morning. Nothing else would have had the dexterity to climb a slippery, wet, HUGE fountain. Not sure what attracted him to the top of the fountain, and why he didn't just stay in the large pool the fountain sits in.

I did find a solar pump on Overstock.com. Unfortunately, the kit came with a different battery than described, plus, the battery is not holding a charge despite having the panel in full sun for many days. Overstock is sending me a new kit, and states that the correct battery is in that kit, so hoping it will work. The pump is just barely strong enough to make the water gurgle over the top of the pump. We have the pump sitting in the fountain basin below the pot, and we have it set to 1/2 rate, so we can boost the pump and that should increase the flow rate. But, we were trying to conserve energy, so I'm hoping with the new kit, the new battery will work better. We might also try to use the new solar panel, too. Not sure what isn't working - the panel or the battery - but we'll try swapping one one, then the other, and see if we can make it work.

Patty S.

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

DH ordered a small solar pump from Amazon.....China! Lasted about 2 weeks , then died!
    I have seen solars at some chi chi nurseries for $60+!
    I'm going to have a guy electrify my backyard this year including a source to my fountain! Nancy

• Zoe Kendrick
    8 years ago

From what I've seen in the past, solar powered fountain pumps exist, but their quality varies. They tend to work better on smaller fountains, like tabletop or birdbath fountains, like Evelyn posted. It's harder to find a high quality solar-powered pump for larger water features. The best backyard water fountains tend to run on electricity. A lot just depends on what you're getting installed. Good luck to you! http://www.roysgiftshop.com/np1-listing-dept-30030

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    8 years ago

Just noticed this thread. Timely. But doubtful solar will work for my neighbor's crazy idea for our yard. We have tons of natural boulders here, and have created a nice picnic table / propane fire pit escape in a pine grove. My neighbor thinks we should do a waterfall cascading down into that area from the boulders above, but I'm certain from reading all these posts, the pump will need to be electric. DH is fishing this week. Just spoke to him on the phone. Told him our neighbor is coming over today to pick lemons and to discuss that waterfall! :-) DH is worried we'll get it all planned without him! You just never know what happens at home when you go fishing...........

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    8 years ago

We have a number of solar pumps at Humpty Dumpty House powering fountains and pond filtration systems. We've used really cheap ones, and really high quality systems as well. My favorites are made by Oase, and if they're still available, they can certainly serve your fountain with a 4' lift. Our two different Oase systems run 24/7, and we've had them for about four years.