Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crl_

Small evergreen?

crl_
10 years ago

Our irrigation system connections are right by our front door, so I am in search of an attractive compact evergreen shrub to screen them. I live in the East Bay of the SF area. The spot gets full sun. Given the prominence of this spot, I am willing to water some. But I don't want to be constantly pruning so I need the full-grown width to be around 2 feet and the height to be 1 1/2 to 4 feet. Flowers at least some of the time would be awfully nice, would prefer flowers in pink, purple/lavender or white.

Thank you so much for any suggestions!

Comments (11)

• lgteacher
    10 years ago

How about a marguerite daisy? They come in different colors.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Look at some of the dwarf hebes - H. odora 'Purpurea Nana', H. 'Pink Pixie', H. 'Red Edge' or 'Silver Dollar'. If you are willing to prune at least once a year, any number of larger hebe would work also. That is exactly the flower color range they come in, too :-))

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

I use Euyonymous Japonicus Microphyllus to hide mine. It does not get tall and grows in a globe shape.

• crl_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much! I have looked at all of your suggestions and am keeping them in mind. I also spent a little time with the Sunset Magazine's plant finder and found Polygala fruticosa 'Petite Butterfly' (Sweet Pea Shrub). It seems to fit the bill and I think it would look right with the house--which is a cottage-y looking place. Any thoughts on that as an option?

And all other suggestions welcome! I love looking at all the different ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Polygala fruticosa

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

I have that Polygala. Here a little afternoon shade, keeps the foliage from getting too yellow. It should work. Grows FAST. I don't know how long-lived that plant is. Seems like more of a sub-shrub than a shrub.

Another option would be a lavender, but you need to choose carefully to get one the right size for your application. Short-lived, 3-7 years then it gets too woody, but you can't beat the fragrance, and they are inexpensive enough you can just replace it with a new one when the old one is no longer pretty.

A really fun plant would be Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt', which is just green, but it's gorgeous. Might not be quite hardy enough for you, only down to low 20s. Slow growing, should not be much of a bother.

• kristincarol
    10 years ago

Cryptomeria japonica, most of them are dwarf and some very dwarf. Practically care free and pretty all year.

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

I like the Polygala.

• crl_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions and feedback!

• bahia
    10 years ago

small grassy like foliaged plants that wouldn't need any pruning at all might fit the bill. Dianella intermedia, Astellia nivicola Red Gem, Libertia peregranins or Libertia Goldfinger, Hebe Golden Esk.

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    10 years ago

I do like Lavender and as stated above, choose the variety carefully for the size you want. You could also plant a small dwarf Meiwa Kumquat. Citrus is drought tolerant once established and this variety grows slowly. It also offers great fragrance and sweet fruit.
    For that matter, since you are in zone 11, you could plant a dwarf mexican lime and have a ready supply of limes!

• crl_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The dwarf kumquat and lime look like trees to me? They wouldn't screen the irrigation system hookups and they look to grow to six to eight feet?

I have been considering lavender as I planted some in the bed across the entry sidewalk and we have some along the side of the house. It might be a good idea for some continutity/repetition but think I am lavender-ed out.

I really appreciate the suggestions. I am going to narrow it to two and see if dh has an opinion. Right now I am leaning polygala.

Thank you all!