Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nykt15

Landscaping - Plant Suggestions (silver sheen, succulents?)

nykt15
9 years ago

Any suggestions on landscaping plant choices for a small yard in USDA zone 10 (Orange County, CA)? I need to choose plants for a new construction home, a 2' perimeter around around pavers... roughly 35' long with 15' on the sides). I'd like something low maintenance.

Landscaper has suggested ficus nitida and wax leaf privet for privacy shrubs, however local nurseries have warned against invasive roots (ficus) and bees (privet flowers). I'm now considering silver sheen or more drought tolerant plants like succulents. I like the silver sheen + blue fescue combination shown in the photo but am unsure of how practical this is.

Any advice would be great as I'm new to this, thanks!

Comments (6)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Your landscaper actually suggested Ficus nitida?!?! Get a new landscaper. I have a lovely screen of Pittosporum 'Sliver Sheen' around my 12 x 12 patio. They are lovely, lacy, block enough of the view to provide privacy, but not feel claustrophobic. I think the photo you provided is lovey The blue fescue is set off very nicely by the prett green leaves of the Silver Sheen. This pittosporum is reasonably fast growing, very easy to trim or prune/shape, and always has a nice, natural habit. Just be sure not to over-water, as it can be rather sensitive to phytophthora.

Patty S.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

It's a good plant in OC, best the closer you are to the Ocean, in other words it's going to look better in Costa Mesa than in Fullerton.

How much space do you have again? Realize that their DNA evolved over millions of years to make them be like this:
    {{gwi:548816}}
    They get 30' tall if you do not trim or shear, so keep that in mind.

But you can do this to them:
    {{gwi:548817}}

Yes both pictures show 'Silver Sheen'.

You just have to realize you are going to be shearing or trimming them on a regular basis, eventually to fit in your space. Your photo shows a young plant, not a mature one.

There are also selections of 'Silver Sheen' that are going to stay a lot shorter and don't need quite as much shearing as 'Silver Sheen'. 'Wrinkled Blue' and 'Tasman Ruffles' are two examples.

You are going to have to watch out for scale infestations; scale is a sucking insect. You'll have to treat with systemic if that happens and make sure the flowers (which are tiny and not easily seen) are sheared off so you don't kill bees.

You do not have space for Ficus nitida. There is a place for that plant as a screen, but your yard is not that place. My neighbor who has an acre, it is good for him.

Ligustrum is an extremely reliable screen, boring, but reliable. But there are those flowers--which are not a problem IF you keep it as a hedge and shear it regularly--you'll be cutting the flowers off as they form and so bees will not be a problem. The Ligustrum flowers have an odor that is not pleasant to many noses.

• nykt15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice, particularly the Wrinkled Blue and Tasman Ruffles suggestions. I tried searching for images online... is it right to conclude that these won't look too different from variegated Silver Sheen (aside from being shorter/narrower)?

Also any thoughts on mixing Silver Sheen with succulents? Would differing water requirements make this an issue?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

They look about the same, just on a smaller scale (shorter, narrower). The Pittos do fine with succulent plants. Keep in mind that succulent plants are not all alike in their water needs. Some really can do fine on 5" of water a year and blazing full sun, while others can grow happily on the same amount of water as a rose and in dappled shade. Having the Pitto roots nearby can drink up excessive water and make the area perfect for succulents.

This post was edited by hoovb on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 14:47

• lgteacher
    9 years ago

Nandina is another option for a screen. They don't grow that tall, so won't need regular trimming. I second hoovb's caution about succulents. They vary in the amount of sun they can take and water needs. The plants suggested by the landscaper are the old boring plants that are not suitable and more thirsty than the silver sheen.
    Since you are in Orange County, consider attending the free Urban Landscape and Garden Expo in Irvine. There are demo gardens where you can see a variety of low water use plants. It is put on by the University of California Research and Extension Center.

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Garden Expo

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    9 years ago

Grewia is a nice hedge plant. It needs some support, though. The birds and butterflies like it and it isn't fussy about water. It's not at all invasive and the seed doesn't sprout. I wish its flowers weren't lavender, but that's a minor flaw.