Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grapes

Posted by tim45z10 sdca (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 1:28

Some years back I bought a thompson seedless grape. It turned out to be a purple variety. The grapes would form, then flower. They would then get a white powder on them and die. I thought they were out of their environment. I then purchased another thompson. It did the same thing. My neighbor down the street gets grapes. I thought I might be pruning them wrong as well. Is there something I need to do to get grapes? Or is there something I am doing wrong? I live about a mile from the coast. I have since purchased two different varities that are specifically for the coast. I dont want to spend a lot of time and effort on these only to have the same problem. I appreciate any input you give me.
Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grapes

Powdery mildew, our nemesis in S. Calif coastal areas, Tim. Some varieties are much more susceptible than other varieties. You'll need to make sure they have excellent ventilation, an open canopy and not crowded, get full sunlight, and use a regular spraying program for powdery mildew. You must institute a preventative management spraying program, just like you would do for Peach Leaf Curf with stone fruits. Also, there is a Grape Forum which can help you with the specifics.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Davis: Growing Grapes in Your Back Yard

o

Neem or Stylet oil gets the Powdery Mildew. It is a necessity. Spray and let dry overnight. Don't spray oil on in the sun. Use a regular program. We spray our vineyard every 2-3 weeks.

Check You Tube for pruning ideas. Lots of videos there.

Suzi

o

Should I start this spraying now, or wait until next years growth? I didnt realize there was a grape forum. Thanks for the info.
Tim

o

Here is UC IPM's page on managing grapes. It is quite extensive and will show you what to do, when. I would certainly start at the beginning of your dormant season, as spraying for powdery mildew is really a preventative program, and not an after-the-fact program. Also, here's a link to Grangetto's Powerdery Mildew spraying program:
https://www.grangettos.com/assets/pest/powdery-mildew.pdf
Grangetto's is a great source of information from grape growing here in my neck of the woods. Also, you might want to try growing Jupiter grapes, as they tend to do a bit better in the coastal climates of S. Calif.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM: Grapes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here