Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best blueberries for coastal SoCal

Posted by onthepoint Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 1:44

Here on Point Loma, we have NO frost. NO chill hours. (At least not in my lifetime.) But I want to grow blueberry bushes, and harvest delicious blueberries. My research suggests Southern Highbush or rabbiteye, but no word on which varieties will actually bear fruit in a place that is frequently cool but never cold. Any suggestions would be welcome, and even more welcome if you can tell me where to purchase those varieties!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best blueberries for coastal SoCal

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 23:02

'Sunshine Blue' has been my best performer. We got so many berries this year we got kind of overwhelmed. 'Bountiful Blue' was a disappointment, and then it suddenly died on me.

I see them at every garden center here, though mostly in early spring. They are gone by now. For example Armstrong's.

Make yourself a cage to put over each plant, and cover it with bird netting to keep the birds off, else you won't get any.

o

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24, (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 11:12

Sunshine Blue planted in the ground with lots of peat moss didn't do well in my Point Loma garden, but it may have been the soil/pH. It might have done better in a pot. Have you asked at Walter Andersen's nursery?

o

thank you both - I have ordered 2 each of Sunshine Blue, Stella and Emerald from One Green World in Oregon, since they will ship next week and Andersen's doesn't have any bushes in stock right now. I did find 2 O'Neill bushes in Vista at the Tropical Fruit Nursery, so we can have a tasting in the spring!

o

I am growing all my blueberries in large pots so I can control the soil pH and nutrients, and all are doing exceedingly well. Just too much effort to try to grow them in our soils. I am growing O'Neal, Jubilee, Emerald, Misty, Sunshine Blue, Sweetcrisp & Windsor. My best tasting are my Sweetcrisp, O'Neal and Emerald. We'll see how Windsor stands up next season to the above 3. I grow them using Dave Wilson Nursery's recommendations on their web site. Just make sure they do NOT dry out, or you'll kill them faster than you can say totally dead brown plant.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: DWN: How to Grow Blueberries in Containers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here