Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boeremeisie_gw

When do I plant fruit trees here?

boeremeisie
12 years ago

I am bound and determined to plant a dwarf peach for next season and I would be happy to wait 1 season for fruit, if necessary. I plant lots of veggies, but never fruit trees, so I have some questions.

Should I plant a bare root tree or 1 in a container from the Nursery? When would each of those be planted?

I am thinking of a Bonanza peach as it is a true dwarf (5 - 6 feet tall), only needs 400 hours of chill, and is a freestone. Is there another tree that someone thinks is better suited for Sunset zone 15.

If you think bare root is the way to go, do you recommend mail order or nursery?

Thanks for any and all help.

Sandi

Comments (3)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

I much prefer planting a bare root. They are field grown and the roots have not been restricted. They are younger, usually and adapt quicker to your native soil. However you should not expect fruit as soon as an older tree. Fruit is normally expected only on wood two years or older. Al

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Sandi, for your zone in California, I agree with Al. You're better off buying a bare root tree, which for us in California show up in January at our local garden centers and nurseries. They will do amazingly well come spring and become established faster for you. I would take a look at Dave Wilson Nursery to see what varieties will be best suited for your area. They are a wealth of info for us here in California who want to grow stone fruit, and there is any amazingly huge variety available to us these days. As far as purchase a semi-dwarf or dwarf, don't worry. Get what you want, and just keep it pruned. It's the easiest thing ever to do. But, if you're determined to get a dwarf tree, just look for either semi-dwarfing or dwarfing rootstock. Pumiselect is being used by certain growers here in S. California which is very dwarfing. The downside to getting stone fruit on very dwarfing rootstock is the production will also be affected (reduced). So, consider semi-dwarfing or standard rootstock - one that is best suited to your area, soil conditions, soil pests, etc., and just keep your tree pruned to the height you wish. Dave Wilson Nursery has a great website that has lots of info, plus they JUST posted a video on summer pruning of stone fruit. Here is Dave Wilson's page for the Backyard Orchardist: Dave Wilson Nursery

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dave Wilson You Tube Home Page

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

Your favorite local nursery will probably have a pre-order plan, that allows you to order about September, the exact tree you want. He orders his tree stock in the fall for January delivery from the grower. You will be able to get just what you want, freshly dug and ready to plant, in January. Al