Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashleysf_gw

Too many weeds in flower bed - how to control?

ashleysf
14 years ago

My 2 flower beds are full of numerous weeds. I killed them all manually one month ago and they are back. Mostly grass and dandelions and some weed with yellow flowers. Too numerous to undertake the manual weeding again. I am too frustrated at this point and am thinking of harsh chemicals (which I am vehemently against under normal circumstances). Any suggestions??

Comments (9)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It is difficult to use chemicals in a flowerbed because they are non selective and will kill whatever foliage they contact. If you don't like to hoe it is best to mulch to prevent the germination of the weed seeds. Al

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

How did you kill them "manually"?

Joe

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

It just makes you want to scream, doesn't it? This time of year is terrible for the portulaca, the pigweed, the bermuda, the spurge... not to mention the oxalis, which is impossible to eradicate.

Some of these weeds, like the bermuda, the oxalis, and the portulaca, can grow back from a single rootlet. And once you weed, you stir up the soil, exposing new weed seeds to light and then they grow!

Take heart: once your flower beds fill in they will shade out many of the weeds. Until then, take Al's advice and spread two inches of fine mulch or three inches of bark mulch over the garden after you weed. It's expensive, but it will save you water and labor for years to come.

If you have bermuda grass, though, you will never be rid of it by picking. You will have to either pull out all of your flowers and plants and kill it with chemicals or with some sort of wet newspaper/mulch combination that will suffocate it.

Good luck. I'm going out to weed now...

Renee

• ashleysf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, all. I am going to try the wet newspaper/cardboard and mulch combo.
    Gardenguru - my method of "manually" getting rid of weeds is to sit in the bed all day long, and pull out the weeds one by one, sometimes using a screwdriver to dig a little if they are well established weeds. Not very interesting!

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Let us know how it works for you, okay? I have a few spots that could use that treatment.
    Renee

• dicot
    14 years ago

A couple of non-toxic weeding techniques I use are:
    * 15% strength vinegar will kill weeds and prized plants alike, but gets the job done down below the soil too.

* A teapot of boiling water can save some wear and tear on the knees.

* The corner of a hula hoe (D-hoe) is very useful for working out certain weed roots.

* I mulch as much as I possibly can and try not to let the weeds go to seed.

* Young kids make good (but indiscriminate) weeders. I bribe the family pre-teens sometimes for low-risk areas.

• sjerin
    12 years ago

I'm giving this a try, Joe! Wish me luck. If you're still around.

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Thanks Joe for all the info! With the rains we have been getting, I can see tons of weeds and grass growing in my flower beds. I will use the hoe and use more low growing plants.