Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chezron

Cantua buxifolia

chezron
12 years ago

Does anyone grow this plant? What conditions does it like?

Comments (5)

• bahia
    12 years ago

It is similar to Brugmansia in its preferences, although it can be relatively drought tolerant here in coastal northern California. It blooms more with fertile soil, and is of rather lanky habit with arching/pendulous branches. The red flowered forms and the hybrid named Hot Pants are hummingbird magnets. Heaviest blooming is in late spring/early summer, but it CA also bloom sporadically year round in a favored spot. It typically gets up to 10 feet tall if not pruned, but also responds well to being sheared after bloom. Will accept hot and dry once established in local SFBay Area locations with deep clay loam soils and a monthly deep soak, but generally will look and grow best with irrigation and morning or cooler all day sun.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Yes. I have about 6 of them in my yard. Bahia is correct in the growth habits, very lanky and pendulous. I have to stake my larger 3 as they'll just tip right over. I have mine all growing in either full morning sun with dappled afternoon sun, or mid-day sun, then shade on either end of the day. My soil is mostly DG, but has a good layer of composted materials due to the large canopy around the plants. I have them on drip, and they are doing very well. They grow relatively fast and had a small bloom this year for me (put them in late after their bloom time). I'm down in S. California, about 6 miles from the coast, and they are growing like weeds for me :-) I have 'Hot Pants'.

Patty S.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

I am growing them and agree with above posters. I want to add that they bloom on last years wood and if they frost back regularly you may never have any last years wood and also no blooms. I have to resist pruning back the dead looking frosted wood, until the plants have the time to revive what ever they can, which is where I will get the flowers. Al

• LadyKF
    9 years ago

I planted this from a 4" pot earlier this spring. It grew to about 10" on a single stem, then we had an extremely hot spell. The partial shade cover I provided was moved and the plant quickly turned yellow with wilted leaves in direct full sun. It is now in a pot, in partial shade, morning sun. The clipping I took from the top still shows some green inside the center. Can I save this plant? I would appreciate any helpful advice on how do do so, if possible

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

They are very tough once established, but I would not start one in the garden from a 4 inch pot. My routine is to pot into a one gallon pot kept out of the full sun until well established. In your climate I would wait until fall to plant in the garden. Al