Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery fruiting plant

Posted by hyperart 90503 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 6:46

Hello,

I have this mysterious plant that came "bundled" from another plant I bought a while back. I planted it and it is now fruiting tiny little green fruits, and I have no idea what it is!

It is not very tall, maybe 2', and is sparsely branched, kind of like a young tomatillo.

The photo of it is attached: http://i.imgur.com/2LtIc.jpg

Can anyone please help me identify it?

I googled for a long time, and I couldn't find anything even close, except for Nightshade (but not exactly) -- which would be deadly if eaten!

It's in my veggie garden right now and I have to go out of town soon, so I don't want my in-laws to eat anything inedible while they're watching over it!

Thanks sooo much.
Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery plant photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery fruiting plant

Does look like solanum ptycanthum / Nightshade.

o

Agree with wcgypsy, it's Nightshade. And yes, like so many of the other solamum family (potatoes, tomatoes), the green parts and green, unripe fruits are poisonous. If you're uncomfortable, pull it out. The sap can be irritating so some people, so wear gloves. I believe, however, like tomatoes, the completely ripe berries are not poisonous, but that may not be enough for you to keep it in your garden :-)

Patty S.

o

Darn it! And I was hoping that I'd have a nice--and not deadly--berry surprise when I come back from my trip. :P

It looks so healthy too...

Thanks for the replies!

o

I think it is the one with the common name 'Jerusalem Cheery' or Solanum pseudocapsicum. I have one that has persisted for years, even though it is frosted back every year. Al

o

I believe it's this: Black Nightshade It's a bit invasive but you can make jams or bbq sauces with it. Don't eat the green berries, those are poison.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here