Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chezron

Tree Allamanda in San Diego

chezron
12 years ago

I walk past this lovely tree-form Allamanda in my neighborhood. It has beautiful flared tubular flowers in bright yellow in bunches of 4-5 at the ends of the branches. The tree is probably fifteen feet tall and the leaves are long and skinny and dark green. I would like to buy or propagate this tree. I cannot find any species of Allamanda online except for A. cathartica which is a vine, and A. schottii which is a small shrub. Does anyone know this tree? is it difficult to propagate?

Comments (9)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

You might look into Allamanda laevis. I know that the difference between 10a and 10b in California are the Allamanda's. They wont take the wetter colder bay area winters..frost or no frost.

• chezron
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I looked at A. laevis and the leaves are not the same. The leaves on the neighborhood tree are very narrow, rolled, and dark green, compared to the diamond-shaped, medium green leaves of A. laevis.

• bahia
    12 years ago

More likely what you're talking about is a Thevetia or Tecoma stans.

• chezron
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thevetia and Tecoma stans are two different plants and completely different. As I said before this tree is NOT Thevetia, although it is probably in the same family - Apocynaceae.

• billiame
    12 years ago

I'm certainly not trying to question your knowledge, but are you sure it's not Thevetia thevetoides (Giant Thevetia)? There's a very nice specimen of this small tree (multi-trunk) on Park Blvd just north of SD Zoo. The flowers on this Thevetia are very different (much more ornamental) than the ones on the more common Thevetia peruviana.

• chezron
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Bill,
    You da man! It is indeed Thevetia thevetoides. I was only aware of Thevetia peruviana, and I knew it was not that. Thanks everyone for the input. I have been trying to figure this out for a couple of weeks.

Do you know if it is easy to propagate? A couple of twigs have migrated to my house. I cut off most of the leaves, and halved the ones I left. I dipped the cuttings into rooting hormone and have them in a pot. One article I read, suggested covering the cuttings with a plastic bag to increase humidity. Do you think that this step is necessary or will it lead to fungus growth?

• bahia
    12 years ago

And exactly where in your first post had you mentioned that you knew it wasn't Thetvetia? Some people...
    I resisted the initial urge to tell you that there is no tree form lof Allamanda that you would see growing in San Diego.

• chezron
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So sorry Bahia,
    I have posted in other sites and specifically mentioned in one that T. peruviana was next to the mystery tree and that they didn't look the same. My mistake, thinking I had posted the same information here. I knew it wasn't T. peruviana, Allamanda cathartica, A. schottii, A. laevis, but I didn't know what it truly was. i have been googling for two weeks and these were the only species I could find. Articles mention, "There are several species" but do not elaborate.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

Looks like a great outdoor plant-might be a good potted plant too. Should do fine for most of the bay area out of direct view of the Golden Gate.