Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could it be bugs eating the leaves and buds off my roses ?

Posted by debbysunshine san diego (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 8, 09 at 11:12

I'm not a good organic gardener because I use Immunox spray and Bayer 1 2 3 Systemic. I've tried everything to keep whatever is eating up my plants. This year is the very worst. Two years ago I quit using Fish Emulsion, and other organics except worm castings. That dirt has now worms probably because of the Bayer killing everything. Did put down a nice layer of mulch not bark a few weeks ago. Over watering is not a problem only usually once a week and the leaves that are there look pretty good. I see no ants or snails just a few red spiders and webs.
Wish someone out there would come take a peek !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Could it be bugs eating the leaves and buds off my roses ?

Debbie:

Go out there late at night with a flashlight. It might be earwigs (pincer bugs).

Applenut

o
RE: Could it be bugs eating the leaves and buds off my roses ?

The most common "eater" of rose leaves in California is the Bristly Rose Slug, the larvae of the Rose Sawfly. The sawfly is a pudgy little wasp. It lays its eggs on the UNDERSIDES of the leaves and the caterpillars feed on the UNDERSIDES of the leaves.

The rose slug is tiny, no more than 1/4-inch long and very slender, and it's the exact same pale green as the undersides of the leaves. Talk about hard to see and find!

It's the critter that "skelotinizes" rose leaves.

It's pretty easy to get rid of, actually. Almost any good spray will do the job: insecticidal soap, Neem, pyrethrum. The trick is to spray thoroughly UNDER the leaves. Not stand back and spray all over. You have to get UNDER the leaves.

By the way, a commonly suggested spray for rose sawfly is BT. It doesn't work. It doesn't work because it's meant for the caterpillars of moths and butterflies. The rose slug is the larvae of a wasp.

And I'm not sure of any beneficial insect that preys upon it.

As for your rose buds, Applenut has a good idea. Go outside late at night with a flashlight. The critter most likely is an earwig, sowbug or pillbug. It also might be a slug or snail.

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here