Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) from last Christmas

jenn
12 years ago

Last Christmas season, my mom gave me an Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) plant in bloom. It had beautiful red flowers and some buds. When it finished blooming, the leaves stayed green until early summer; when they turned yellow, I cut them off and set the pot outdoors in a spot that gets dappled morning sun. I gave it some water when the soil seemed dry, and hoped for the best. This is my first attempt trying to keep one of these and I'd like to plant it in the garden.

Last week, new leaves began emerging from the center! The bulb is still in the same plastic pot (about 5" diameter).

According to Sunset, they can be grown outdoors year-round in zones 13, 15-17, 21-24, and H1/H2, and with some shelter in zones 8, 9, 14, 18, and 20. Well, I'm in zone 19, so what does this mean for me??

Sunset also says to repot in late fall or early winter. If possible, I'd like to plant it in the garden this fall. I suppose one benefit of growing them in a smallish pot is being able to move the pot to an inconspicuous spot when the long leaves begin to fade and droop.

Would it be fine if I plant it in a sheltered spot in the garden in late fall? Anyone else in zone 19 have success growing them outdoors in the ground?

Comments (6)