Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) from last Christmas

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 11 at 11:55

Last Christmas season, my mom gave me an Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) plant in bloom. It had beautiful red flowers and some buds. When it finished blooming, the leaves stayed green until early summer; when they turned yellow, I cut them off and set the pot outdoors in a spot that gets dappled morning sun. I gave it some water when the soil seemed dry, and hoped for the best. This is my first attempt trying to keep one of these and I'd like to plant it in the garden.

Last week, new leaves began emerging from the center! The bulb is still in the same plastic pot (about 5" diameter).

According to Sunset, they can be grown outdoors year-round in zones 13, 15-17, 21-24, and H1/H2, and with some shelter in zones 8, 9, 14, 18, and 20. Well, I'm in zone 19, so what does this mean for me??

Sunset also says to repot in late fall or early winter. If possible, I'd like to plant it in the garden this fall. I suppose one benefit of growing them in a smallish pot is being able to move the pot to an inconspicuous spot when the long leaves begin to fade and droop.

Would it be fine if I plant it in a sheltered spot in the garden in late fall? Anyone else in zone 19 have success growing them outdoors in the ground?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) from last Christmas

I have about a dozen, all planted in the ground after the holiday bloom. They would bloom about the end of May/first part of June. Nothing special needed. Last summer I wanted something else in that space, so I potted them all up in one gallon nursery pots and put them in my cold frame. They all bloomed about the same time in June. I have now replanted them in a more protected part of the garden. Some I have had for ten years, and have harvested for more bulbs. Al

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 12, 11 at 14:01

Mine have formed colonies. They do great in the ground. I don't even water them. You do have to watch for snails/slugs.

o

Yup, but for me in my yard, they scream, "Hey snails, here I am, come and get me!!" Stripped just about overnight. Worst snail magnet in my yard. Boo.

Patty S.

o

I have kept mine in pots, with occasional repoting. In summer they set out and I water almost daily. In winter they are in my hot house and start blooming for Christmas and sometimes a second time. Snails do love them.

Penny

o

My mom gave me a dozen of them to line a walkway twenty years ago. They lived there until it got too shady, then I moved them three times to different locations where it got too shady. This is where they have been for about a month:

Photobucket

I wonder if it is possible to kill the things.
Renee

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 13, 11 at 14:38

Thanks everyone. OK, so they'll be fine here in the ground.

I think I'll plant it on the east side of our patio where it will get morning sun. We don't get a lot of slugs/snails but I'll keep an eye out. I don't want a big swath of big droopy leaves when they start to fade, so maybe I'll just keep one and see how it does.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here