Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Mid-project update

peachymomo
10 years ago

Well the basic grading is mostly done, and boy do things look different! We had no idea that the previous owners had spread 6 inches of dirt on top of the oak tree roots, I'm glad we found out and were able to remove it but now we have a huge pile of dirt we need to have hauled away.

{{gwi:549501}}

{{gwi:549503}}

{{gwi:549505}}

Comments (7)

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    10 years ago

That is a lot to get rid of, but you might try a craigslist posting or a developer that is building new homes. Surely someone nearby needs fill dirt but it looks better than bad fill dirt.

Sometimes trees die when covering surface roots so if that is what they did they got lucky in not killing the trees.

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I'm really glad the trees are okay. I think the dirt was only there for about a year before we got our house, because it probably came from when they dug the new leach lines for the septic tank. So it was there for 5 years at most, which is not very long in tree time I think... The old surface level was very obvious, because there was still a layer of dyed mulch - the same ugly mulch I removed from the front of the house when I first moved in.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Wow, that's a lot of dirt. Are you sure you don't want some raised planters somewhere?

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am going to use as much as I can in raised planters, but I think we'll still have lots to get rid of. There's going to be even more dirt coming out when we finish the dry creek and dig holes for boulders to be placed in.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

What about a berm in the front yard? That will reduce traffic noise inside your home (if you have traffic noise out front).

Or advertise the dirt as a solution to that problem on Craig's List. It can be tough to get rid of for free or very expensive to have disposed of.

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wish we had room for a berm in the front yard, unfortunately we'll have to settle for a rather short raised bed. Luckily my Mom's property has plenty of room and some land that needs smoothing out anyways, so she's happy to have the dirt spread around her yard. It's looking like we might solve two problems at once, which will be very nice.

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More progress has been made but we're still not done yet. We got some rock in the yard and the dry creek is starting to take shape. We're going to get a few more boulders and some cobbles and smaller river rock next week and hopefully finish this part off.

Stretch along the back fence:
    {{gwi:549507}}

Seasonal pond area:
    {{gwi:549510}}

View towards house:
    {{gwi:549513}}