Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeking plant suggestions

Posted by peachymomo Ca 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 12:25

I'm back in search of more plant wisdom ;o)

I have decided that a small tree (or large shrub in standard form) would be better at the end of my spiral garden than the rose I currently have planted there. I was hoping for something that would grow to about 20' or 25' max, have a pretty form, and preferably some kind of bloom. I was thinking maybe a dogwood or standard rhododendron, but I'm not confidant in my choices. It will have irrigation, the spiral garden is one spot that I decided could be a bit thirstier than most of the landscape.

I have a shade tolerant hybrid musk rose in the spot right now, it gets some morning and late afternoon sun but shade for most of the day. Depending on the time of year it will get about 2 to 4 hours of direct sun per day. You can see in the pictures that there is enough sun for nasturtiums and Shasta Daisies to bloom. The rose is doing okay, blooms are sparse but the foliage is healthy and disease free. Having lived with the current arrangement for a year it suddenly occurred to me that a small tree would put some foliage between us and our neighbors in a critical spot.

Here are some pictures to show what I mean, the rose is planted behind the Shasta Daisy.
spiral garden photo summerpics085.jpg

And a closer view, this one's taken from where we usually sit on our deck to enjoy the view.
area that needs more screening photo summerpics088.jpg

What would you do, if this was your garden?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeking plant suggestions

I love the idea of a Dogwood, I love how the flowers sit on the tree. There are some gorgeous Dogwood cultivars with both white flowers or or red flowers. They do well with some shade, and need moderate amounts of water (you can always drip the tree to make sure it's getting the right amount of water). Love that idea, I think Dogwoods are ethereal in their habit and shape.

Patty S.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 21:40

didn't see the shade part.

This post was edited by hoovb on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 14:45

o

If you go for a dogwood, I advise trying to shop in the fall so you can evaluate leaf color- I had some in a former garden and the fall color was variable- the best ones were an amazing color, worth seeking out.
Wishing I had enough shade for a dogwood here!
Pea

o

Thanks everyone!

I love the idea of a dogwood, partly because one of my neighbors has a large white flowering selection and I always admire it in the spring.

I've been looking into different types, I like some features of Cornus nuttallii but am a bit worried about the whole 'notoriously challenging in cultivation' thing. Eddie's White Wonder, a cross between Cornus nuttallii and florida, looks particularly attractive. I think I might go with one of those, unless I get warned off by someone with greater experience.

o

What about 'Cherokee Chief'? It is really beautiful, and would give you a nice pop of color.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monvrovia: Cherokee Chief Dogwood

o

duplicate post.

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 0:03

o

Cherokee Chief is very pretty, but I have a white clematis and lavender trumpet vines in the area already, so I feel like white is the safest way to go. In addition I've been jealously admiring my neighbors' white dogwood for years, so I'd love to have my own.

Thanks though!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here