Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Seeking plant suggestions

peachymomo
9 years ago

I'm back in search of more plant wisdom ;o)

I have decided that a small tree (or large shrub in standard form) would be better at the end of my spiral garden than the rose I currently have planted there. I was hoping for something that would grow to about 20' or 25' max, have a pretty form, and preferably some kind of bloom. I was thinking maybe a dogwood or standard rhododendron, but I'm not confidant in my choices. It will have irrigation, the spiral garden is one spot that I decided could be a bit thirstier than most of the landscape.

I have a shade tolerant hybrid musk rose in the spot right now, it gets some morning and late afternoon sun but shade for most of the day. Depending on the time of year it will get about 2 to 4 hours of direct sun per day. You can see in the pictures that there is enough sun for nasturtiums and Shasta Daisies to bloom. The rose is doing okay, blooms are sparse but the foliage is healthy and disease free. Having lived with the current arrangement for a year it suddenly occurred to me that a small tree would put some foliage between us and our neighbors in a critical spot.

Here are some pictures to show what I mean, the rose is planted behind the Shasta Daisy.
{{gwi:549547}}

And a closer view, this one's taken from where we usually sit on our deck to enjoy the view.
{{gwi:549550}}

What would you do, if this was your garden?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)