Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is best time to move mature Pindo Palms in desert

Posted by Stawamus CA - 9 - Desert (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 12:39

I have two mature Pindo Palms on a property which I recently purchased in the desert. (Coachella Valley - Palm Springs area).

I would like to relocate them to other locations on the property.

In researching when would be best time of year to move them, i was surprised to read in the Coachella Valley Water District landscape guide that it is recommended that Palms be moved in Summer ( I had previously thought any relocations should be done in fall).

We are in peak of summer now (highs 110-115 / lows 85).

Do others have experience with moving Pindo Palms and know whether or not a summer move is a safe plan for moving mature Pindos?

Thank you for any info you may be able to share.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Coachella Valley Water District Lush Book on desert gardening

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is best time to move mature Pindo Palms in desert

Boy, I cannot imagine transplanting even the very tough Pindo palm in the dead heat of the Cochella Valley summer. I would think spring or early summer would be a better choice. I would contact a good quality palm tree grower, and ask their opinion. I am not familiar with an palm growers out your way, but here in San Diego county, one of the biggest and most knowledgeable palm growers is Jungle Music Palms in Encinitas. Here is their link, and I would contact them to ask: http://www.junglemusic.net . Also, a link below about transplanting palms, in general.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Transplanting Palms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here