Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Experience with the gritty mix inland?

Posted by musaboru Inland Calif. (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 12:45

Hello all,
I was wondering does anyone here using the gritty mix inland and notice superior results than using traditional potting soils?
Does it require watering too often being so hot and dry here?

Would love to hear your experiences with the gritty mix so I can gauge if it's worth the extra cost and effort. I think most of my plants grow well in regular potting soil, but if anyone thinks that the gritty mix can give plants grown inland a boost (especially for plumerias), I'd love to know about it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Experience with the gritty mix inland?

I am growing Hydrangeas in it, and you know they like water. I also have Hydrangeas in commercial mix, bark based, with sand and pumice. I have been pleasantly surprised, that the difference in water usage is negligible. Before trying it I had shared your concerns. I chip my own fir bark and screen it to size. Turface MVP I found at Horizon Irrigation stores, many locations. My granite fines I get from a landscape supply and screen it. The Napa valley I think you would say is inland. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here