Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing lawn

Posted by kristie_2007 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 12:49

I am removing my lawn but I am not sure what to do with the top soil I have cut out. It has some crabgrass in it and my friends tell me to haul it off. I feel guilty throwing away organic material especially the soil.

I have an acre to spread it around but my friends tell me then I will be fighting crabgrass all over the property. Any thoughts.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing lawn

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 15:30

I took mine and piled it behind a hedge. After a few years it was soil amendment. If you have the space but no convenient hedge, you can pile it up, put a tarp over it, leave it for a year, and you will end up with some really prime soil.

o

What a good idea. Thank you

o

In looking around to decide where to stack the top soil one possibility I found was an area that is shaded. Does it need the sun most of the day to break down?

o

I have my doubts about killing crabgrass, even with a hot compost pile. If you want it to break down in a years time you will need to maintain some moisture in the pile. I keep mine covered with black 4 mil plastic to keep it from drying out too fast. Being in the shade is not a problem. Al

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 20:40

How much topsoil did you remove? I am going to guess that there is still plenty of crabgrass and other weed seed lying around the area regardless.

o

I took my lawn out several years ago and I congratulate you for doing so. I laid my sod upside down to keep it from growing. Built beds over the sod and never had any come up.

Penny

o

Thank you everyone for your ideas. I took the advise of Al and piled it up and keeping some moisture on it. I was thinking if adding worms would help the break down process under the black plastic over the next year.

Kristie

o

Worms are already in there, and they will multiply if kept somewhat moist.

Adding a thick layer of wood chips on top of the sod wouldn't hurt either.

Bottom line is, as long as you deny the grass of light it is going to die a horrible death. I can hear it screaming now.

Well done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here