Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Golf Ball Pittosporum- Bigger than Advertised?

Posted by chrissystarr 22 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 21, 10 at 13:11

Has anyone else had a Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Golf Ball' get way bigger than Monrovia advertises? When I bought it, the tag said 24" x 24". Now the tags say 3-4' tall and wide. Mine grew to at least 5' tall and 6' wide. I never pruned it because of it's advertised size- I always thought it would stop growing. I bought it BECAUSE I wouldn't need to prune it!

The plant is really a gorgeous shrub. but it's way too big for its spot in the garden. Same thing with Nandina 'Plum Passion'. I rarely water- they get 3 or 4 good soaks in the summer- that's it. Is it the California climate, or am I getting mutant plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Golf Ball Pittosporum- Bigger than Advertised?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 21, 10 at 14:42

I don't know about Golf Ball but I have the same thing with Nandina 'Plum Passion.' Wanted 4-footers, have 7- to 8- footers!

o

Yeah, I've experienced this issue with dwarf shrubs and with this excellent cultivar in particular. Sunset and other good publishers are often mistaken when they list what the grower or the patent-holder reports. But we love our new and fashionable plants, don't we? Golf Ball is at least easier to prune than its cousin, Pittoporum crassifolium 'Compactum'. I've not seen Golf Ball get quite 5' x 6', however, so thanks for the report!

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 21, 10 at 19:02

I think Monrovia's size estimates are really for "at X number of years". I know their Metrosideros excelsa 'Gala' says 10 feet, but I've seen one that was 40!.

o

Thanks- I'm glad I'm not the only one. Yes Scott, we have to buy it when it's new and $50 for a five gallon!

I just gave it a pruning and I'm going to try to transplant it to my backyard in October. I'm thinking it is not going to work, but I'll try; it's a great shrub.

o

• Posted by babka 9 Northern Californi (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 18:15

We planted 3 Golf Ball Pittosporums in Spring of 2006, 1 gal. size. I also assumed that they would only require a little shaping, perhaps once a year. Not true.

I have to prune them twice a year to keep them about 2' wide and 18" tall. The good thing is that they respond very well to the shearings and leaf out quickly.

Here is a photo. They are the three lighter green "balls" in the foreground.

-Babka

Photobucket

o

Babka, it's always such a treat to see your garden. I love your fence, too- it is an addition rather than something you try to cover up. Wonderful.
Renee

o

Babka,nice garden.
Kathi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here